AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Marine Aquaria
 L# General Marine
  L# Finally getting to start up a Saltwater Tank!!!
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeFinally getting to start up a Saltwater Tank!!!
dvmchrissy
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 301
Votes: 38
female usa us-indiana
Hey everyone! I know its been ages but I finally have some time in my life that I could spend it with you guys! I missed all the posts on here and I am glad I could come back!

So here's the deal, I am getting a tank from a friend. Information is as follows...

I have the following in my 75 Gallon:
Chocolate Chip StarFish
Lemon Damsel
Blue Damsel
Yellowtail Blue Damsel

I would like a colorful active community tank. My husband and I have a 1 yr old and another one on the way. Our 1 yr old LOVES watching fish and I would like something that would entertain her but is easy to care for (for us). I saw several fish that caught my eye but I wasn’t sure about compatibility and how truly easy each of them were to care for. Here is a list of some of the fish that I like. Please give me ideas on these guys. Will they work? Is there a better alternative? Is there something maybe I have not heard about that would be even more fun/colorful to watch. I have had freshwater tanks for years but never saltwater. I am getting this tank from a friend so it is all ready established

Suggestions, Comments, Complaints, Ideas…
Clownfish (Preferably True Percula)
Pillow Cushion Starfish
Chromis?
Goby Blenny, or Frogfish
Flame Angel Fish (would be fun)
Bicolor Cleaner Wrasse

Like is said that is just a list of fish I like. Feel Free to edit it in any way possible. I know the Chocolate Chip Starfish is not coral or invert safe so if there are any inverts that would work with him Feel free to add those as well. I am not in love with the Damsels, so I could sell or trade them to make room for something else. Thanks for the help!
Post InfoPosted 01-May-2012 18:32Profile Yahoo PM Edit Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
IIRC, cleaner wrasses will only feed on parasites and usually starve in home aquaria. If you want to see symbiotic cleaning behavior, get a cleaner shrimp, which will feed on parasites but will also enjoy other food sources when the tank's other inhabitants have been depleted of their parasite loads.

><>
Post InfoPosted 03-May-2012 02:14Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
dvmchrissy
-----
Big Fish
female usa us-indiana
I would love to add shrimp ir anything in that family. I was concerned about the starfish. Everything I read about him says he's not safe around any crustaceans. Will he be safe?
Post InfoPosted 03-May-2012 12:38Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
As far as I know, the chocolate chip star you already have won't prey on motile invertebrates like shrimp or crabs (it would probably eat them if they were already dead). It's sessile invertebrates (like clams, tube worms, etc) that would be at risk of predation from your sea star as well as the pillow cushion one. I haven't kept saltwater fish for years, so I'm not an expert, but that's what I'm remembering/reading.

><>
Post InfoPosted 04-May-2012 02:01Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
dvmchrissy
-----
Big Fish
female usa us-indiana
Well that really excites me because I wanted something like a crab or shrimp. Thanks!

Want other fish would go well? I would like to add an anyone if possible so I can get a pair of clowns. That's something I have always wanted.
Post InfoPosted 04-May-2012 19:19Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies