Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeFuture Marine Project
Garofoli
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 143
Votes: 27
male usa
I am planning on having an Marine Tank. What should the minimum size be for a tank with a lot of reef and live rock with many invertabretes and several fish. What size tank shouild be roughly the minimum. No tank size set.

Chris
Post InfoPosted 03-May-2006 02:19Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
bodangit
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 37
Votes: 10
male usa
I would be inclined to say 55 gallons for a good stable beginner tank. But that's just me, I've had mine for 3 weeks.

Post InfoPosted 03-May-2006 02:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
EditedEdited by mattyboombatty
If you want more fish think about a 75G with a nice sized sump(30+ gallons) for a reef setup. This would give you enough room for a number of fish. Plus, it's the magic number for a yellow tang.

A smaller reef is possible, but you wouldn't be able to keep as many fish and keep a stable environment for corals.

That said, I set up a 30G reef with a 30G sump that is home to 6 fish. You just have to pick the right ones.

Other very important things to think about for keeping wastes low(therefore more fish) are the live rock, protein skimmer, sumps, any sort of macroalgae for nutrient export, deep sand beds, and of course water changes.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 03-May-2006 03:15Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
fishkid99
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 218
Votes: 39
male usa
i got a 55 gal. and its a good size tank for a SW set up.

but..

i keep getting mad because a lot of fish do well in a 75 gal then in a 55 gal. (i.e. what matty sed a yellow tank [which should still be kept in something bigger 75 gal is still a little smal but it can still thrive])
also equiptment for a 75 gal is more expensive then equiptment for a 55gal.

so id would suggest a 75 gal if you have some extra money.
55 gal for the economical fish keeper.

its probably none of my biz but what previuos and or current expeirence do you have with anytype of fish?

>>>----> <----<<<

pnh
Post InfoPosted 04-May-2006 01:15Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
reel big mark
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 112
male usa
I would go with a 75, or a 65 if you cant afford the 75. If your looking for a sump both can be bought factory with a overflow already installed. I feel a 55 is a little thin IMO. It just doesnt seem to give enough room for rockwork, atleast its harder to, im sure you can get something good if you try.

its me sk8freak20...i need to get premie so i can change my name back
Post InfoPosted 04-May-2006 03:33Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Patchy
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 195
Votes: 0
i would aim around atleast 60g( display and sump/fuge).

as said before a 75g lets you have some of them favorite fish which are a bit bigger or free swimming.

or even get a custom built tank, i love my 60g cube and it only cost $40 more than a 55g!

check what footplan you can, if you cant have a big tank diffently match the tank with same sized sump. extra water volume helps so much
Post InfoPosted 04-May-2006 05:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
The biggest tank you can afford and fit in the house. Then in a couple years you'll want a bigger one. For me that's only a 20g long right now and it works but it's not easy and you can't keep many fish. My 90g is sitting empty until I have the cash and space to set it back up.
Post InfoPosted 04-May-2006 06:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies