Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeGood stock for a 55?
bodangit
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 37
Votes: 10
male usa
I was wondering if this would be a good stock for a 55 gallon, I plan on setting one up sometime in April.

1 Percula or Oscellaris Clown
1 Banggai (aka Kaudern's) Cardinal
1 Lawnmower Blenny

I plan on adding lotsa crabs and some shrimps and snails too, maybe a mix of LR and other porous rock like lava.

Post InfoPosted 24-Mar-2006 18:58Profile PM Edit Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
That sounds pretty good. I can't see any problems between any of the stock, unless you get very large hermits which are capable of killing and eating tankmates. I doubt you'll have any problems with that, though. Looks nice.

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 24-Mar-2006 19:04Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
bodangit
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Thanks. What's a good type of porous rock that resembles LR in color? I don't think I have the money for all live. Also, I read The Simple Guide to Saltwater Aquariums and I'm still confused about feeding. I think I'll get some high quality flake food and use some lettuce or broccoli for the plant part of the diet.

Post InfoPosted 24-Mar-2006 21:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
A lot of places will sell base rock. I'd go for that if you can't afford all live rock. There's really not much else that looks a lot like LR.

And for the veggie food, use Formula 2. It's a great veggie-based food.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 24-Mar-2006 22:46Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
bodangit
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Ok, thanks for that. I can't wait until I can get it set up. I'll make a list of the stuff I'm getting, just for comments and suggestions.

55 gallon glass aquarium(I want to build one, but how would I get that plastic liner?)
48" 130 watt Satellite Compact Fluorescent Lighting Fixture with lunar light
Emperor 400 Power Filter
SeaClone 100 Protein Skimmer
60 lbs. of crushed coral or aragonite
Roughly 70 lbs. of LR and base rock, about 45 live and 30 or so of base
200 watt heater
Sea Salt
Hydrometer
Test kits
Food

I already have maintenance equipment, I'll probably get another bucket though for SW.

Post InfoPosted 24-Mar-2006 23:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Building a 55 gallon tank wouldn't be worth it, IMO. It won't save you any money, because they are so common in the hobby. If you want to do it just for fun, I wouldn't tend to use it for a SW tank....too risky. Anyways, you can get a liner from your LFS as a pond liner.

I like Instant Ocean sea salt.

If you are going to try to keep some corals, you'll want more light than that. If you don't want corals, that would be just fine.

Post InfoPosted 25-Mar-2006 20:15Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
bodangit
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
I don't plan on corals. Also, would it be okay to get a pygmy angel like a flame or a coral beauty instead of the Banggai? I really like flame angels.

Post InfoPosted 25-Mar-2006 22:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Should be ok, yea.

Post InfoPosted 25-Mar-2006 23:35Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
bodangit
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Alright thanks. Matty, I've been somewhat keeping up with your tank, I love it. Do you think I would be able to keep an arrow crab in it? I really like arrow crabs and since this is my first tank, I'm asking everything I can think of.

Post InfoPosted 26-Mar-2006 00:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 26-Mar-2006 00:56
This post has been deleted
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I'm not great on invert-invert compatabilities, but none of your fish would eat it, and it shouldn't bother your fish either. I know I've seen arrow crabs eat small hermits, but I'm not sure if the hermit was already dead or not.

Post InfoPosted 26-Mar-2006 04:24Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
bodangit
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Ok. I know I should have piled all these questions together, but I am thinking of them as I go. Since I'm going to be using a protein skimmer, would it be okay to add another fish? I'll leave out the arrow crab unless I decide against other inverts, but I was thinking maybe I could get the Banggai and the Flame Angel. Would that be pushing it? I read an article on peteducation.com that says that you need 2 gallons per inch of fish, but I would never put that many in.

Post InfoPosted 26-Mar-2006 06:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
Kudos: 1889
Votes: 229
female usa
I think you could easily do a pair of the smaller clownfish, a pygmy angel (I love flames wish I could have one) and then whichever blenny or goby you choose, plus inverts. Inverts obviously count when you're planning stocking, but I dont really think you're going to be overstocked based on your inverts.

As for some of the other things you mentioned, I like Tropic Marin salt, and AquaMedic salt. My favorite skimmers (and the ones I use) are AquaC EV and AquaMedic turboflotors.

I think it's smarter to get two heaters instead of one, in case one fails. Also, make sure you buy a small digital thermometer.

Salifert for test kits.

Get a hydrometer and a refractometer to callibrate it so it's accurate.

Mixing live and base rock is fine; look around for deals on live rock though, through eBay and other aquarium sites...you can often get it for pretty good prices. I picked mine up from a guy in my reef club who was taking down his tank. Get involved with the aquatic community and you'll be exposed to a ton of deals. I'd be broke out of my mind if it wasn't for my reef club and all the "connections."

Hope this helped a bit. Read the articles stickied to the top of the General Marine forum, one of them is for beginner aquarists, and the other one is fish selection regarding smallish tanks. They might be helpful to you.

Best of luck. Keep posting questions, it's the best way to learn things.

-Formerly known as the Ferretfish
Post InfoPosted 26-Mar-2006 19:45Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Patchy
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 195
Votes: 0
dont bother with "# gallons per inch fish" rules. they are quite bogus and involve many other factors.
also make sure you when you take advice you get a wide range of opinions, alot of peoples thoughts they post are their expierences and wont always be the same in your own tank
Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2006 03:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bodangit
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
If only there was a reef club here! I only know of one person on my side of the city with a saltwater tank, but it happens to be one of my brother's friend's dad. I told my brother to ask him if he had anything to sell. As for the clownfish, will they do better in pairs? I thought they were somewhat aggressive towards their own species. One more thing: is the Foster & Smith Fiji Premium LR (not the Select Premium) a good price? It's $90 for 45 lbs.

Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2006 22:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Clownfish do well in pairs, but will usually beat up the left out third wheel. So generally clownfish are kept singly or in pairs. In large tanks, probably 125 and over, you might be able to have more clowns, not sure on that though.

45lbs for $90 would be a good price if there was no shipping, but it will probably come out to be a little cheaper than buying at an LFS. It all depends on the shipping.

Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2006 22:48Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
bodangit
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
I really doubt it on the lfs, the closest one I know of with LR is a good ways away and is $8/pound.

Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2006 01:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bodangit
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
I was thinking that it would be good to add more color to the aquarium in terms of blue and green, could I exchange the blenny for a green clown goby and a neon blue goby, or should I just leave the blenny? I like both ways, and I don't want to forfeit the health of the aquarium just for color. I do plan on having lots of algae grazers and a few detritus eaters.

Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2006 05:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies