Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by Callatya
I went shopping. The first two fell off a chunk of LR, the urchin was an intentional but ill-researched purchase. I had intended to get one, just not so soon.

The cray creature is about 12mm long with a massive nipper on one side. He's currently in my skimmer which has been turned into a temporary tiny tank instead of doing it's skimmerly duties. It stands and walks like a cray rather than swimming.

The squishy thing I'm guessing is soft coral? If so, ack! help help! I'm out of my depth! It appears to be healthy and has gone for a wander to a more suitable area of rock (it walked! it picked up its little squishy foot and walked!). Care instructions required, it is freaking me out a little. It is too cute to die

The last is Woo the urchin. He/she/it is utterly fascinating and appears to like the front corner of the tank. It has shot out a bundle of little... well I'm sure tentacles is the wrong word, but they look to be fairly ferocious string-like things with little grabby hydra-like heads. Is Woo anything recognisable or just a random urchin? I have tried to ID (the shop was unusually stocked but well kept, looked to have a lot of wild-caught stuff that you wouldn't see elsewhere) which means I don't have even a vague idea where it came from. Only thing I'm sure of is that it probably isn't a black, because it was next to a tank housing blacks and they didn't have those vibrant white rings.

I also have another thing that I need an ID on, but it has burrowed. It looks like a worm or something similar, but it is not your ordinary worm. It is shaped a bit like a sweet potato, and feels a little like kelp or soft leather. It is a beige creature, about 3cm long and it is bulbous on one end. The other end seems to be retractable and worm-like. It was moving around mainly with the use of its worm-end appendage, but was light enough to get caught in the current and moved that way. I have no idea what it is, am I even close with worm?

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 07-Dec-2008 19:39Profile PM Edit Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
Critter #1 is a pistol shrimp, read the sticky mez wrote on mantis vs pistol in this forum.

Critter #2 is some type of anemone. Anemones require strong lighting and flow for the most part and feedings of good sized meaty items a few times per week. Krill for example. Cover overflows and filter/pump intakes with sponges, these will certainly kill your anemone eventually.

Critter #3 might be a "short spine" urchin. Most urchins that have that appearance are IME usually reef safe except for knocking over unstable objects. They graze a wide variety of algaes, good (coralline) and bad. The tentacles are essentially used for motion and grabbing possible food objects.

Critter #4 could be any type of worm, or maybe even nudibranch. Maybe look at pictures of peanut worms and spaghetti worms. A quick search for live rock hitchhikers yields good sites on miscellaneous worms and other critters.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 07-Dec-2008 23:03Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
I dont see number 4.
Urchin looks like a pencil urchin to me.
Definatly a pistol for number one, and an anemone for 2. Is this anemone from local waters? It looks like an odd retracted bubble tip anemone. You need to identify the species before saying it needs intense light.
Post InfoPosted 08-Dec-2008 01:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
EditedEdited by Callatya
Awww crap! Pistol shrimp AND anemone I had thought maybe pistol shrimp (how many other cray-like critters have massive nippers? bit of a given I guess EDIT: and it is the spitting image of the one in Mez's article ) but anemone is a surprise. It shouldn't be really, I spent my childhood terrorising them in rockpools, but I had sort of assumed that LFS people would know the difference since they seem to charge very differently.

OK, well the only thing I really know about the anemone is that where it was being housed at the LFS was not bright light (warehouse lighting on the roof) and it looked like the LR had been there for quite a while as the tub was full of some sort of red/brown dust which was more or less covering everything. This guy was on a piece right down the bottom and under the shade of the top filter (such as it was, "dust spreader" might be more appropriate) so he wasn't really seeking out the brightest spot. Then again, he might have just been avoiding dust.

He doesn't look like one of the more common locals (purple/red or that colour/red) but I have seen ones that look similar. I can't say I've ever seen them perch like that though, they all tend to be wedged in rock crevices, so even if I had seen one like that locally it would have looked very different.

Assuming he'll cope with less-than-ideal light (I'll keep posting pictures, you tell me if he starts looking lousy - I don't think I could relocate it without disassembling the entire tank) what is the go with filters? *confused* Am I trying to stop it walking over inlets and outlets or baffle the current?
Feeding isn't a worry and I can up the flow if it needs it. It is just going to be the light.

What are the signs of becoming an unhappy anemone?

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 08-Dec-2008 04:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
You need to identify the species before saying it needs intense light.

That's why I said "for the most part"....because most anemones in the hobby do and like you said it looks like a bubble tip, which need strong lighting.....though in no way am I suggesting it's definitely a bubble tip or definitely needs strong lighting.

The lighting at the LFS usually has very little to do with actual requirements of the animal in question. If you can't provide the light then I'd certainly feed more often if the anemone will accept. Things to look for are extended wanderings(some movement now and again is normal especially when first acclimating to the tank), deflation of the body, and/or color loss. And you are definitely looking to keep the anemone from getting sucked into or wandering over intakes and getting chopped in impellers.

Pencil urchins have fewer and stubbier spines....that isn't a picture of a pencil urchin IMO.

Post InfoPosted 08-Dec-2008 07:22Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
EditedEdited by Callatya
For those who are interested, all going well so far.

I may have found a home for Squishy too, which is great. He/she/it has finally eaten, so that is good! It took some convincing and a chunk of scallop roe, but it stayed down I've also been a bit cheeky and flipped the rock over so Squishy is now a good 20cm closer to the light source. Not much, but better than the position it chose.

I absolutely ADORE the urchin, its just fantastic! It seems very easy going too, which is great I haven't seen him eat, but he is definitely eating enough. I feel weird saying it, but urchin poop is kinda cute.

Peanut worm looks to be a goer for the #4.

Also seem to have 2 different zoas, a deep red tubeworm, and some other gorgeous flat anemone-like disk thing that i think is a rock flower... if it is, can I keep it? *puppy dog eyes*

Post InfoPosted 11-Dec-2008 17:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
some other gorgeous flat anemone-like disk thing that i think is a rock flower... if it is, can I keep it? *puppy dog eyes*

LOL, any pics? sounds kind of like a mojano anemone - usually considered pests. If that's what it is then they don't need much care and should do fine for you. I'd need a picture to be sure though.

Glad your anemone took some food. It should be easier from now on since you got the hang of it.

Post InfoPosted 12-Dec-2008 18:21Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
EditedEdited by Callatya
hello Just a squick update.

The anemone is going well and getting very good at being hand fed. He's still with me, partly because he seems to be doing OK, and partly because I really have no idea how you transplant one. The lights are still woefully inadequate but it really doesn't look too bad. I'd even go so far as to say it is looking quite good and I think it is a bit bigger too, but it is hard without something to compare it to.

The pistol shrimp is merrily clicking away in the evenings. I haven't seen him again, but he sounds like he's doing well.

Woo the urchin is going really well and doing a fantabulous job as a lawnmower. He's still my absolute favourite tank inhabitant

Additionally I've found another peanut worm, what looks like two bristleworms or fireworms or something that is red/black with spiky white bristles (it looks dangerous, only spotted it 4 days ago) and i've watched the beautiful dance of the pest anemone as it spread babies throughout the tank I kinda would like something that eats them, they are everywhere!
I've also found 3 more tubeworms, some red urn-shaped creature with a gaping hole in one end, and a small crab.

I'll try and grab pics later

Post InfoPosted 22-Apr-2009 04:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
some red urn-shaped creature with a gaping hole in one end

Most likely a sponge.

Sounds like you are having fun! I'd like to see some pictures

Post InfoPosted 22-Apr-2009 19:45Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
The best way of getting rid of pest aptasia anemones in a smaller system in my opinion is Aiptasia X product. Works fantasticaly, comes with its own syringe that is angled to get under rocks easily, the aptasia consume the liquid, then impode. Faultless, and a lot better than that joes juice crap.
Post InfoPosted 24-Apr-2009 03:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies