Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNative Saltwater Tank......
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
Today I was at my pearents beach house and I was turning over rocks with my nephew and I was alwaying finding these cool little fish some where bright green some where dark brow with white bands i think they are some type of benniles(spelling?) and some cool eel looking fish...... and a bunch of little shrimps I think it would be a cool little tank may even add a few crabs u never know.............. i think it will be in a 10 gal tank with a hob filter the main this is i have never owned a salt water tank ever! so i dont know how to do water changes and i dont live near the beach so id have to get like the salt from the pet store? and how would i mix the salt into the new water...... wat im saying is i have no experince with salt water and just teach me the basics of salt water like how to do water changes and all that.......
Post InfoPosted 02-May-2009 05:24Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
there are a lot of things you need to learn and some new equipment you'll need to get. not to mention I'd suggest you check out your parks and gaming bureaus to make sure it is legal to collect these fish, I know in CA you need a permit to collect ANY invertebrate and special permits to collect vertebrates. i suggest you look up basic slat water keeping in the saltwater forum and read through... although you may have ample available live rock, fish, shrimp, crabs etc you should still be cautious in your approach and thoroughly research the fish and etc... maybe a local wildlife club or gaming association can help you ID the fish and their compatibility with each other within an enclosed ecosystem...

recap:
read basic saltwater keeping
look up your fish/inverts
make sure its legal!!!

In CA hefty fines come to those illegal trappers and collectors, you may just need a fishing license, or you may not... you'd need to check in on it.

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 03-May-2009 18:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
I have got it all checked out and these fish are legal to own and to collect out of the beaches where my pearents live.... i have a chiller so they dont get to hot in the up comeing summer i live in seattle WA........ do u think i will need a protine skimmer? Im gona take sand from the beach to fill the tank and its legal to...... u think i should check the salt levels from the place i will be takeing the fish from and try to match it in the tank? or should i get it at a normal range if the water i collect it from is abnormaly high or should i just slowly let the salt level drop to normal? i really dont think im gona get any inverts for this tank other than these weird little shrimps and theres a million of the i found over 100 in 1 pool...... to ceatch them all u need to do is stick ur hand in the pool and cup it and ull ceatch like 10 its crazy and i think thats one of the foods for the fish i want to keep.....
Post InfoPosted 04-May-2009 12:05Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies