mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
Most bivalves are starved in captivity unless they have mutualistic buddies that photosynthesize. Since you don't have the lights, I wouldn't recommend any unless you feed phyto regularly. Even then it is tough to feed proper amounts and keep tank params up to par.

I guess the average temp and highs would be useful as well as how often the changes in temps occur. If the tank were normally 70 I would guess that might be a bit rough for tropical rock. However, the bacteria and algae will likely still thrive. Sponges and other critters on the rock might not make it, but they don't always make it for people with more ideal temps. You might be able to locate some temperate rock, or rock from a tidal area. That would have some sturdy critters on it.

Either way, I would choose rock (even inert FW type rocks) over driftwood mostly because I would get nervous about drops in pH from the driftwood. Especially if it's a large piece compared to the tank volume. It's always ok to try something out though. I wouldn't know where to start on finding something to seal it with. Maybe a marine epoxy. Probably more expense and trouble than it's worth though.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 04-Feb-2008 07:14Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Apparently a mix of some type of fibreglass sealant is what the commercial places use, but with 1/4 the hardener so it soaks in. I think it'll need a few trial runs first in FW as I'd bet the crabs will try chewing on it. There are two chunks of driftwood in there already, they just get carted around and chewed, I think they are too small to make any big difference, but they do provide a lot of amusement.

Does anyone know how safe thinks like yacht rope and nylon landing nets are long term? I'd really like more climbing opportunities and they seem to fit the theme.

I went looking for textured latex backgrounds again today and came up blank. Nothing in that size that has ledges or outcrops I guess it is time to buy that blowtorch and DIY. *gulp* Annoyingly it'll be just as expensive and probably look half as good. I guess it does mean that I can make it very rockpool-like though.

For the LR, the die back would be my main worry because although it is perfectly stable for what is in there, I'm not sure that it'd cope with tropical critters dropping dead all over the place. How 'live' are they? If something the size of my fist died, how badly/quickly would it affect 26USG?

I have been offered a piece to try today, although it is coming from a seahorse tank that sounds like it became ammonia soup so I'm a bit iffy about taking it at all. That being said I guess there is no great difference between that and some of the other conditions they are in before purchase. It seems like a gamble either way. Still, I would like to quarantine it for a short while to see where it is at and if it is safe enough to try. Would a bucket and a powerhead suffice?

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 04-Feb-2008 16:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
That's exactly what I'd do. Once there's no NH4 in the bucket, you know it will do fine in your tank. You can keep it in there long enough to get an idea if there are any critters you don't want too.

Post InfoPosted 04-Feb-2008 17:16Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
EditedEdited by Callatya
Just done a bit more research on local stuff given that the other algae is out, is out, do you think sea lettuce is a possibility?

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 04-Feb-2008 18:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I don't know how well it would do, honestly. I don't think I've seen it used in aquariums before. It might have requirements you can't meet, or on the other hand it might grow so fast as to become a nuisance. I found that it likes nutrient rich areas, which would seem common sense, but nothing on light levels. Seeing as how it's a tidal species that gets blasted by the sun at low tide, it may need more light than you have. Could be worth a try, however, as it would help you keep the water clean of nutrients.

Post InfoPosted 04-Feb-2008 19:16Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Rightio.

I have a large lump-o-rock in a bucket with a powerhead. The tank that it came from seems to have crashed after a WC (2 months o'due) so I'm less concerned than I was. It is also from an unheated tank so there is another good point.

The water I added to the bucket looks quite dirty already, should I be changing it once or twice this week or just letting it do it's thing?

Post InfoPosted 05-Feb-2008 17:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Changing the water will remove some NH4, and help keep things alive that might otherwise die. Reducing the amount of die off will shorten the cycle time.

If you test and the ammonia isn't really heavy I'd just let it go. If it's above say 1ppm then a water change might help shorten the cycle and keep some things alive.

Post InfoPosted 05-Feb-2008 17:52Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
EditedEdited by Callatya
Cool, thanks I just wasn't sure how delicate it was and didn't want to accidentally off it while trying to save it.

Post InfoPosted 05-Feb-2008 18:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
EditedEdited by Mez
i'd love to see what sort of hitchikers come on cooler live rock..post some photos..
I doubt you'll get anything the size of your fist in live rock...if you do, get it out
Post InfoPosted 07-Feb-2008 23:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
I'm getting a little worried about the rock. Presumably it needs some light, but it is getting diddly squat in the bucket. It is all intact, no fluff or obvious decay, but is looking...depressed? Perhaps less colourful than it was? It is hard to say.

Will it be OK for a while longer or should I be looking for some window time? The only option for artificial would be the light from the tank itself which is OK but would be virtually cut in half by the diameter of the bucket mouth.

And given it is live...what does it eat? Or more, what do the thing on it eat? Will it take up ammonia or only process nitrate?

*puts LR firmly in the too much hassle basket*

Post InfoPosted 10-Feb-2008 18:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Are you reading any ammonia in the bucket? If there isn't any and it's been in the bucket a few days then maybe just toss it in the tank, since it had been in someone else's tank for a while.

I guess to answer your question about feeding, I'd have to know what's on it. I don't feed anything on live rock except corals sometimes, unless you count the light. If you want to keep the colorful stuff then maybe try and get it some light. Either way it should grow back once it gets light in the tank.

Post InfoPosted 11-Feb-2008 01:41Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male uk
Calla, the term "living rock" is used because of the vast amount of life that live on/in the rock, the rock itself is not alive and does not need feeding.
Most of the stuff on there will be algaes, worms (of many different types) copepods, amphibods, small corals, maybe crabs etc, but most of it will certainly be self sustaining and will not required to be "fed". Even starfish seem to manage somehow..
Post InfoPosted 12-Feb-2008 01:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
*wink* I got that bit Mezzy, ta. Given that a majority seem inseparable from the rock substrate I figure it is easier to think of it as a single entity for now rather than the parts that make the whole because I really am not good enough with names and descriptions to get very far in that area.
If it was a genuine live triffod-rock, It'd have to be an outside pet I couldn't sleep with thoughts of it popping out in the middle of the night and clobbering me.

Ammonia is negligible so rock is in, however it er, it looks pretty bleh. I mean, it'd look great as a reef addition but just sticks out in a rockpool (even a half-finished under-furnished rockpool) I just don't think I can get past the whole pink/grey aspect. It is like the lone java fern in a tank of plastic plants.

If it works out well for health etc I might switch it for rubble or at least smaller pieces as that seems easier to hide. I'm guessing taking to it with a hammer and chisel is not recommended?

The starfish are going to town They think it is Christmas. I haven't spotted the limpet and chiton yet, but no doubt they'll show up.

There are a few tiny flea-like things whizzing around now that I don't recall having before. These are likely to be good, yes?

Post InfoPosted 12-Feb-2008 14:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
The fleas are pods, which are good.

Taking to it with a hammer and chisel is fine, actually. It will probably ruin your chisel though.

Hopefully it will turn the rest of everything pink and will fit in just fine

Post InfoPosted 12-Feb-2008 17:09Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
EditedEdited by Callatya
You aren't quite getting the "I dun wanna reef!" bit. Whoever heard of a pink rockpool?

Anyhoo, starfish seems to love it. It must be tasty.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/Callatya/Random%20Fish/IMG_0207x.jpg?t=1203039407

Any chance of a basic ID on some things? I have the coralline algae sorted, but i'm at a loss with the plant-like algae/plants and the little clear roundworms that are poking around.

Feathery worm bottom/head?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/Callatya/Random%20Fish/IMG_0212x.jpg

One of the green plant things. What is it?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/Callatya/Random%20Fish/IMG_0216x.jpg

More plant-like a fluffy things. Again, any ideas?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/Callatya/Random%20Fish/IMG_0205.jpg?t=1203044633

The whole piece from the side
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/Callatya/Random%20Fish/IMG_0204.jpg

And from the front
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/Callatya/Random%20Fish/IMG_0230x.jpg

Post InfoPosted 15-Feb-2008 03:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male uk
Calla, are the round worms flat? and stuck to your glass and rocks? or the type with legs?
get some photos up, if it really dosn't look right and you dont want to buy another few peices to make it fit in () id smash it to smitherines!
Post InfoPosted 15-Feb-2008 04:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Nono, not flat, round. It looks like a piece of clear fur, about that thickness, no more than 2' and striated. No legs, they looked like a small version of a tiger worm or a blackworm.I couldn't see one to try and photograph but there were 2 wandering around on the left of the piecelast night. They were just poking around the rock, not on the glass.

I think it'll look ok if I get some small pieces or rubble on the substrate and up the backing. Don't get me wrong, i still think it is pretty avarage-looking and nowhere near the look I was going for, however the critters have won me over and I suspect the stars would be very cranky if i took their new tasty rock away. If it turns everything bright pink though, there will be twubble

Post InfoPosted 15-Feb-2008 05:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
EditedEdited by mattyboombatty
you have a common calcerous feather duster (Serpulidae family maybe), halimeda (the majority of your calcerous algae), and a neomeris sp.(merman's finger) of algae from what I can tell.

BTW I'm pretty sure that calcerous algaes are some of the few things that do grow in rock/tide pools because the absence of water for part of the day is too rough for a lot of higher organisms.

I still don't understand the "I dun wanna reef" thing get used to it .

Post InfoPosted 15-Feb-2008 06:55Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies