Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribePanther Grouper?
Fish Guy
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1254
Votes: 2
male canada
I was wondering what is the minimum tank size for a Panther Grouper?
Post InfoPosted 12-Jun-2006 03:38Profile PM Edit Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
Because they eventually reach the vicinity of two feet in length, they'll need a tank of at least 150 gallons when adult, though bigger is better. Keep in mind also that they are huge eaters and poop out a lot of waste, so they can easily contribute to fouled-up tank water.

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 12-Jun-2006 04:18Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
Kudos: 1889
Votes: 229
female usa
These guys often come into the trade as adorable little babies but they grow extremely fast if fed properly. I wouldn't start them in anything smaller than a 4 foot tank, and like Nick said be prepared to upgrade because they do achieve decent size, even in the home aquarium.

-Formerly known as the Ferretfish
Post InfoPosted 12-Jun-2006 17:33Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
fishkid99
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 218
Votes: 39
male usa
I would think a 6 foot would work good (that giving plenty of room for the fish to swim)

personelly i think you shouldnt get this fish (its more trouble then its worth)

>>>----> <----<<<

pnh
Post InfoPosted 13-Jun-2006 03:12Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
Oh yes, chromileptis altivelis, the Panther Grouper or Pantherfish. Bought because it's a little less likely (though only a little) to devour other tankmates than some of the other Groupers, and has a comical aspect to it, paddling through the water with big pectoral fins, and staring at the owner with that gargoyle like face.

But, it grows. FAST.

Personally, I'd be VERY wary of buying this fish unless you have a large aquarium, and decent sized companions. Put temptation in its path in the form of some small Damsels, and chances are it'll thank you for the expensive lunch you've provided it with. It's also a fairly intelligent fish, and if kept in surroundings conducive to its well being, becomes a real pet, taking food from the fingers. This capacity for intelligence and pet-like behaviour (which it shares with Lionfishes) should also alert the prospective owner that keeping it happy not only needs attention to basics such as sufficient space, and decent quality filtration capable of handling the load that this fish will place upon the filtration system (as stated above, considerable once it grows to a decent size) but also to providing the fish with a stimulating environment. It needs its curiosity satisfying, and so the prospective aquarist should endeavour to make its home as interesting and stimulating as possible, so that it doesn't become bored. It's likely to start demanding attention in a child-like manner, which at first can be endearing, but if you have a busy life elsewhere, can become a problem later. It's a bit like a parrot in that respect - it needs to be kept occupied.

Me, I'd wait until I could put it in 250 gallons alongside a Lionfish and a large Angel. At least it should be reef safe with respect to corals, though it'll probably enjoy snacking on shrimps and small crabs!

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 15-Jun-2006 23:55Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies