Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeSmall cost effective
Optimusprime
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 5
Votes: 6
male canada
What is the smallest most cost effective SW setup ?

would it be to buy a complete setup or build from scratch ?

and how small of a tank 10-20 gallons ?

Any ideas ?

"All water has a perfect memory and is forever trying to get back to where it was."
Toni Morrison.
CHECK MY PROFILE FOR PICTURES.
Post InfoPosted 01-Apr-2009 03:12Profile PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
First, small in saltwater doesn't necessarily mean cost-effective. It depends on what you're going for. If you're going for fish only, the price can stay low. Corals and inverts are much more expensive to maintain, and even in a 10 gallon you could probably expect to shell out a lot. On the other hand, for a fish only in a small aquarium, you aren't keeping more than a couple or even a single fish, while inverts and corals don't move around quite as much and don't need as much room. That's because, in saltwater, fish need more room than freshwater fish. In the space you can keep a school of neons you can only keep a single marine fish.

As far as cost-effectiveness goes, the best way to go is to find someone in the classifieds selling the tank and stand set-up, and then buy what else you need. If you're doing a small tank, building from scratch isn't worth it; I think building is more cost-effective if you're going for a tank in the hundreds of gallons.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2009 05:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Optimusprime
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 5
Votes: 6
male canada
Well i do have a 30 gallon tank that Is currently FW but in the future i plan on buying a 100 plus FW and want to turn my 30 into a SW. but that would mean using a HOB over flow or drilling the tank.

"All water has a perfect memory and is forever trying to get back to where it was."
Toni Morrison.
CHECK MY PROFILE FOR PICTURES.
Post InfoPosted 03-Apr-2009 03:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies