RIFIFOOL
-----
Fingerling
Myspace.Com/Sheereen726
Kudos: 16
Votes: 26
female usa
I got 2! YAY!
So does anyone have any advice on how to take care of them? To be honest, they haven't moved or even come out of their shell since I put them in the tank. Should I be concerned?

1 Ocellaris Clown: $14.95...1 Pink Dottyback: $12.99...1 Three Striped Damsel: $4.50...1 Blue Velvet Damsel: $8.95
The Problems that come with them: Priceless
Post InfoPosted 13-Jun-2007 07:36Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Report 
Melosu58
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 86
Votes: 0
male usa
EditedEdited by Melosu58
How did you acclimate them to your tank? Most inverts need to be slowly acclimated by drip method or adding about a cup of your tank water every 20 mins for 2-3 hours. What are they like today? Also what are your tank parameters ? They are very sensitive to nitrates.
Post InfoPosted 13-Jun-2007 13:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
In addition to that, if you put them in and they landed upside down they won't be able to move. Turbo snails can't reach the substrate from an inverted position, and will eventually die if left that way.

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 13-Jun-2007 16:51Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Turbo snails have a rounded shell and can usually turn themselves over. Astrea snails are the ones you have to worry about. With their long pointed shells and fairly small bodies they can get stuck and die. Any snail though can get stuck between rocks and not be able to turn itself over. My turbo was moving around and eating algae within a few minutes of setting it in the tank. Have you tested your water parameters and did you take time to acclimate them? They don't really require any special care and are rather hardy. They eat whatever they can find starting with algae and then moving to fish food if that runs out so you don't have to feed them anything special. Just keep the water parameters at a good level like you would for any other living thing in your tank.
Post InfoPosted 13-Jun-2007 17:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
RIFIFOOL
-----
Fingerling
Myspace.Com/Sheereen726
female usa
Well, my ammonia level is at zero and the salinity at a good level. I'm not sure of the other parametes because I don't have those test kits. I acclimated him by putting the bag in the water and adding some of the tank water every now and then until it was balanced out. They've been in the same exact, solitary position for over 24 hours now. They're poking out a little bit and I thought they might be dead. When I picked it up and pulled at the little "door" thingy, he closed it back up all the way, so I know it's still alive. What's going on?! I'm thinking that maybe I should return them?

1 Ocellaris Clown: $14.95...1 Pink Dottyback: $12.99...1 Three Striped Damsel: $4.50...1 Blue Velvet Damsel: $8.95
Post InfoPosted 14-Jun-2007 03:11Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
RIFIFOOL
-----
Fingerling
Myspace.Com/Sheereen726
female usa
NEVERMIND.
They died.

Post InfoPosted 14-Jun-2007 04:35Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
What is your salinity and how long has the tank been setup? You should at least get a nitrate test kit. Also ask the store what the salinity of their tanks is. Since I have a refractometer that only takes 1 dropper full of water to run a test I just check the salinity out of the bag myself before beginning to acclimate. Some stores will run their salinity extra high or low to help kill off bacteria and parasites so if it's really different from your tank you may need to take extra time to acclimate. The next likely problem would be if your using tapwater. Tapwater will often contain metals or chemicals that will kill off marine inverts real quick.
Post InfoPosted 14-Jun-2007 05:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Melosu58
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 86
Votes: 0
male usa
Sorry about the loss. Read this article for acclimating inverts.

http://www.fantasyreef.com/database/index.php?p=getitem&db_id=11&item_id=12
Post InfoPosted 15-Jun-2007 03:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies