Clown_Loach_Kid
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 1043
Votes: 34
male uk
firstly, HEY!

long time since ive been here.

basically my gf and her parents have just ventured into SW keeping, they have brought a 69"x24"x27" (150g i think) marine set up, with filters, heaters and protein skimmer etc,

basically they want my help, so what should i do to help them? my marine experience is non exsistance, but i did some research around 5 years ago, since then ive gone out of the fish keeping hobby but now i keep discus again.

they've got 50kg of live rock coming next week and some live sand etc, they want to be eventually make a reef tank, so they are upgrading the lighting from T8 lighting to T5 lighting for hte corals and inverts etc

ill update this when i get more info from them.

they also want some stocking options its gonna be a reef tank so only reef compatible fish please.

bare in minds its a big tank, so lots of space.

6x2x2 - Firemouth and Oscar Tank
30+ royal pythons.

Back in the game after 4 years out ..
Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2008 04:00Profile PM Edit Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
This is too large a question. The best thing you can do to help them is to point them to a few good books. Or you can point them to good sites to read up on. I like marine fishes by scott w. micheal as a reference guide for fishes. The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner is another good general read for SW tanks. If someone is unwilling to read (at least skim) a couple books before they start, IME they aren't cut out to be taking care of SW, and you should tell them so.

I do hope that the T5 lighting they got is T5HO, not just T5. Big difference. Plain ol' T5 won't do anything for corals. This is something reading on a few sites would have helped with.

Also, they're going to want AT LEAST another 20-30 kgs of LR if they plan on using that for the biological filtration, which is the plan for reef tanks. Again, some reading would have helped here.....you get the idea.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2008 05:19Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Hey mate...where abouts in the country are you? i could point you in the direction of some very knowledgable people.
Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2008 01:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Clown_Loach_Kid
----------
Fish Addict
male uk
west mids, ive been and spent £70 on a few marine books, after some places for them to buy more live rock from, they want to get anuva 50kg of live rock to add to what they have on order.

the tank is huge.

the lighting is T5, not sure on what kind but it is ideal for coral and inverts apparently.

30+ royal pythons.

Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2008 19:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Melosu58
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 86
Votes: 0
male usa
One thing I agree with is that you`ll need more LR in a tank that size. Usually 1.5 lbs per gallon.
Post InfoPosted 10-Mar-2008 23:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Clown_Loach_Kid
----------
Fish Addict
male uk
the tank is now holding 130kg of live rock, will get pics when i can.

30+ royal pythons.

Post InfoPosted 15-Mar-2008 05:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
amilner
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 654
Votes: 0
male uk
Powder Blue, Flame Angel, Kole Tang, Yellow Tang
Post InfoPosted 06-May-2008 00:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies