Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribenewbie with my first SW
uglyryder
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 0
male
ok i just bought today a 54gal corner bow front. i couldn't wait to get home and do something...so i set up the filter, filled the tank and put salt in. my question is what next??? i bought a hydrometer but i dont know when is a good time to check it.

Jon

TANK: 54 Gallon Corner FOWLR
FILTER: Fluval 304 Canister Filter
Post InfoPosted 02-Mar-2008 05:41Profile PM Edit Report 
agent_orange
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 77
Votes: 31
male usa
A good time to check is when all the salt is dissolved and at the proper temperature. After the salinity is good you can preferably cycle the tank with live rock or a cocktail shrimp. The die off from the rock, known as curing, will produce ammonia as well as the decaying of the shrimp. It will probably take a little over a month to complete the cycle, so monitering it with test kits is a good idea. After the cycle is complete you can start adding your inverts and fish.

What do you plan on keeping? There's three main setup types that are commonly reffered to, which are: fish only(fo), fish only with live rock(fowlr), and reef. As far as equipment goes I would recommend a decent protein skimmer, ~1-2 pounds/gallon of live rock, and ro/di filter.

I would check to see if there's a local marine forum and start browsing the for sale forums if you plan on getting live rock (also your biological filtration). You can get things far cheaper from hobbyists than lfs. Live rock for example is $3-4/lb on my local forums and $6-8/lb from the lfs and used equipment will also save some money.

Marine setups take patience, but well worth the wait. I remember when I added the LR and was plastered to the glass for the month it took to cycle. I found some new critters every day, and still find things I haven't noticed before. The adding order and compatability of fish is crucial too.

What does that mean, Bob? "Till the cows come home." Where have the cows been?
Post InfoPosted 02-Mar-2008 09:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
uglyryder
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 0
male
thank you...im going for a FOWLR for now, later when i get money for a better light and get some experience i want to try a reef. so i checked the SG this morning and it was high, what do i do? do i remove water?

TANK: 54 Gallon Corner FOWLR
FILTER: Fluval 304 Canister Filter
Post InfoPosted 02-Mar-2008 13:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
You can remove some of the salt water and add fresh water, yes.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2008 05:06Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies