L# 100 gallon help please?
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe100 gallon help please?
Charliejaebrown
Small Fry
Kudos: 6
Votes: 1
male usa
Just want some advice on what I definitely need for a 100 gallon tank as far as:
Filter
Heater
Air stone
Etc.

Would really appreciate the help
Post InfoPosted 27-Jul-2012 03:45Profile PM Edit Report 
RED PHANTOM
Fingerling
Kudos: 21
male costarica
Hello CJB,

First thing you want to consider when setting up a new tank is what you have in mind as a final product on regards to stocking and wether you want it planted or not.

Do you have any idea on what species you want to have as fish once the tank is ready?

This will help you determine what type of setup you will be aiming for. Wether you want a slow flowing tank or one with more current, some fish do well with plants other do not allow plants to develop in the tank. Please keep in mind that some species of fish dont get along well in the same setup so you will have to choose wisely, normally one would choose a centerpiece fish and then some complementary fish that will fill up the tank and look good along with the centerpiece.

On regards to filtration for that size of tank the best option is a canister filter or a sump, generally you want to have a filter that will turn 4 to 6 times the tank's capacity per hour.

As long as heaters go I've always liked the penn plax guardian heaters and tetra brands, and you would be looking preferably for two heaters for fifty gallon tanks each, in case one brakes you would have a backup.

Airstones are optional since some fish don't like the bubble action and they are not recommended if you go for the planted tank option.

Most of the other stuff you would have to choose according to the type of fish you want and if you want plants or not. But you should look into a dark colored gravel and a dark colored background to bring out the colors of your future fish and plants.

Of course, before picking up any fish you should have your tank cycled, either do a fishless cycle or choose some hardy species for the process.

Let us know what species you like for your tank and we would be able to help some more as advice goes.

All the best...

Leaning towards the better side of life
Post InfoPosted 28-Jul-2012 21:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Along the lines of what red mentioned, I'd go with one of the smaller canisters for that tank. Last time I bought a canister the Eheim ecco range had just come out and they worked good IMO. Pretty easy as far as maintenance and really rather quiet. Many of the cheaper non branded canisters can be really noisy or leak after a while. Not really what you want in something pumping water 24/7!

If you do plan on a faster flowing tank (many of the asian fish prefer cooler temps and faster water flow) you can manage this with a canister and HOB filter of some sort, usually aquaclear. If you're running a canister you shouldn't need a biowheel.

Airstones aren't usually needed if you've got proper filtration, I find them noisy and messy.

Be sure to get a good quality heater. Combined with the filtration these are two things you do not want failing on you. Fish life pretty much depends on them working.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 30-Jul-2012 04:50Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Charliejaebrown
Small Fry
Kudos: 6
male usa
Thanks for the info guys. Extremely helpful
Post InfoPosted 08-Aug-2012 02:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
RED PHANTOM
Fingerling
Kudos: 21
male costarica
Best of luck CJB. Post some pics when you have them and choose your stocking wisely.

RP

Leaning towards the better side of life
Post InfoPosted 08-Aug-2012 04:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies