L# Getting Started
  L# 10 Gallon Stocking Tips?
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe10 Gallon Stocking Tips?
kdwilson972
Small Fry
Kudos: 5
Votes: 0
my girlfriend has asked me to set up a tank for her. her rental agreement only allows 10gal fish tanks. my smallest tank is a 40 gallon, and all have either cichlids or rare L-numbered catfish, so i really don't know what to put in the tank . any suggestions on interesting fish that would be fairly easy for a first timer to care for?
Post InfoPosted 29-Jan-2009 20:49Profile PM Edit Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
A trio of cherry barbs, and maybe a few khuli loaches or small cories...

><>
Post InfoPosted 29-Jan-2009 21:05Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
A small tank can be very difficult to stock correctly and maintain it so that you have no major problems.

I have a 45lt and I finally got it working perfectly
I have it fully planted and the filter a HOB is designed for a 60+lt tank.
You could try 1M Betta with a few Cardinal tetras no more than 10 and two Khuli loaches.
In my tank now I have 20 Cardinal Tetras, 4 Khuli Loaches and Cherry Red Shrimps breeding very well.
But in saying all that if it was not for the way the tank is set up and maintained I could not have it stocked that way.
There are plenty of options BUT keep well away from Live Bearers as they can very quickly over populate your tank and cause major problems.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 30-Jan-2009 00:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
I hace a nicely planted 10g setup with a male Betta, 3(down from 7) Harlequin Rasboras, 2 Panda Corys and a Skunk Botia.

They all seem to get along decently. Although, I had two skunk botias and found out that they can be fairly agressive. He tore up my male Betta's fins a bit and I moved the larger Botia into my 20g. He'll have his hands full with the gold algae eater and Tiger Barbs.
Post InfoPosted 30-Jan-2009 04:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
forest1424
Small Fry
Kudos: 5
Votes: 4
male usa us-newyork
I'm still very new to owning fish. I set up a 10g about 3 months ago for my kids, ages 1 and 2 - only to realize that I'm way more addicted to this than they are!

I started with 4 tetras (2 Serpae Tetra and 2 Pretty Tetra). Last month, I added the following:
1 clown pleco
2 skunk cory catfish
1 black fin cory catfish
1 betta

I was nervous that I was going to overcrowd my tank with all of them, but they are very community oriented, which makes it enjoyable and relaxing to sit and watch them interact. I was also concerned about adding a betta, but after asking around at many pet stores if the betta would be too aggressive, they all assured me that he would be fine with the community fish already in place.

So far, I have not had any problems with anything in the tank. I have a rock that the catfish and the pleco like to hang on and under, a few fake plants that the tetras and betta like to hang out in (which will slowly be replaced with live plants in the next month or so), and an air line with a bubble stone that the betta likes to hang out around. I also have a tiki that doesn't really do much, but I like how it looks!

I'm done adding fish to this tank, but I'm already thinking about putting a 5 or 6 gallon in my office at work.

The attached picture was taken with my iPhone with very poor lighting conditions, but you can get the gist of it.

Attached Image:

Regards-

Rick
Post InfoPosted 06-Aug-2009 03:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
divertran
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 469
Votes: 165
male usa
Hi and welcome. My ten holds 8 cardinals and what started out as 4 ottos.
Post InfoPosted 08-Aug-2009 18:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies