L# 10 gallon long set up
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe10 gallon long set up
onna-shinigami
Small Fry
Kudos: 4
Votes: 0
female usa us-tennessee
Been trying to think of a way to set up a tank I've had in storage for a while. The part I've been having problems with is that not only is it a 10 gal tank its only 6 1/2inches tall 24inches long and 12 1/2 inches wide. Any tips on how to get this set up with a filter and possibly some live plants?

Onna
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2010 00:59Profile PM Edit Report 
lowlight
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 94
male usa us-california
You could use a sponge filter and a power head. Some pvc pipe would work for connecting the sponge to the power head. Put the powered at the opposite end of the tank from the sponge. There are also small submersible type power filters you could get. I have used Fluval internal filters before and they work well, especially since they have room for some bio-media. Not much room but some is better than none. Just make sure you rinse the sponge in old tank water so you don't kill the beneficial bacteria. I really wouldn't know about plants for that tank being the tank is not that deep.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2010 07:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
hca
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 434
Votes: 211
female usa us-illinois
When looking for plants, You could use foreground plants and mosses.
crypts , hairgrass, baby tears, java moss, xmass moss, dwarf sag, and similar would work in the depth of that tank I think.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2010 14:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
It looks like a moss only tank than to me 6 1/2 ins tall less a minimum of 1-2ins for any substrate. As the mosses grow mainly across the surface that would be sufficient but if you wanted rooted plants you would be looking at 2-3ins deep substrate and personally I think it would look out of place.

Cookie

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 27-Jan-2010 02:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
I'm going with keith on this one. not alot of options you have with such a shallow tank. I think a thin layer of gravel sand or river rocks with maybe a few small Drift wood pieces and a couple different kinds of mosses would look awesome! you should look up the amano set ups and picotopes because that is essentially what you are going to have to do in your tank.
Good Luck!
-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 28-Jan-2010 04:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
hca
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 434
Votes: 211
female usa us-illinois
What I was thinking was slope the gravel, and plant the typical foreground plants in the back, and fill the rest with mosses in the middle and front of the tank.

Post InfoPosted 28-Jan-2010 04:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
EditedEdited 28-Jan-2010 05:49
To give it height you could add a few tall twiggy bits of DW and use a few taller plants that will grow out of the water. To get those type of plants either go to a Hydroponics or a wet garden nursery.
PM FRANK he might be able to help you or point you in the correct direction.

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 28-Jan-2010 05:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies