Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe11 Day Cycle?
coffeeman
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 60
Votes: 21
usa
So I setup a new 20 gallon tank and on 2/21 I added 2 L. Ocellatus. I seeded the tank with a floss pad from an established tank, a biowheel from an established tank and a product callled "cycle". I have been doing daily 2 liter water changes and I'm on day 11.

I've got 2 different nitrite test kits and 2 different ammonia test kits. Doing daily tests, neither has ever detected ammonit or nitrites, but my nitrates are at about 10 ppm.

I've never cycled this way before (seeding the tank) so I don't know if this is to be expected. My tank appears cycled and I'd like to add some tank mates, but I just wanted to get your opinions on whether that's safe to do at this point.
Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2006 23:50Profile ICQ AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
bcwcat22
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 314
Votes: 34
male usa
EditedEdited by bcwcat22
By L. Ocellatus are you refering to lamprologus or lobotes?
(Depending on your anwser then some of this may not apply), then you can add tankmates but make sure to add some cycle when you do and only add them one at a time or in small groups.

"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man" Simpsons
Post InfoPosted 05-Mar-2006 00:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
coffeeman
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 60
Votes: 21
usa
Lamprologus :-)

I'm only planning on adding a couple more fish anyway (likely a pair of some kind of small Julidochromis), and I always throw cycle in with new fish, major water changes filter media changes, tuesdays, when I change my socks, or just whenever I feel like it.

Thanks!
Post InfoPosted 05-Mar-2006 00:46Profile ICQ AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
zman
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 73
Votes: 63
male usa
EditedEdited by zman
cofeeman it seems as though your seeding has been quite effective since nitrate is a byproduct of the nitrite consuming bacteria.
I am very excited about your post as I am about to attempt the very same procedure in a 10 gallon tank..
I've been running an extra biowheel 150 on my 55 gallon tank in order for it to aquire tthe bio-filtering bateria..one question did you add the fish immediately when you started the tank?.. I'm thinking you should as it will produce the ammonia that is essential to support the bio filter.
which test kits r u using?
Post InfoPosted 05-Mar-2006 03:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I personally would wait at least two more weeks to be 110% sure the tank is perfect. When adding new fish do it very slowly otherwise you could easly go into a mini cycle.

When I do a water change I always add I measured amount of Bio Starter yet I believe the Cycle is the similar product.

By this keeps it reintroducing the origional good bacteria back into the tank.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 05-Mar-2006 04:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
Even if the water chemistry is looking good now you should ideally add fish slowly over a period of months, the colony will have to increase gently to avoid ammonia spikes. Even under a 21 day normal cycle you have to add fish slowly, and thats with very stable naturally occurring bacteria that arent hyper accelerated in any way, you need to give things a chance to level out.
Post InfoPosted 05-Mar-2006 07:08Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
zman
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 73
Votes: 63
male usa
EditedEdited by zman
OK so no fish...but am I correct im cncluding that you must utilize a cycle type product during this set up time.....
As if there is no ammonia producing fish then what does the nitrifying bacteria sustain itself on?
Is there an ammonia source in the cycle..ect.???
Post InfoPosted 05-Mar-2006 15:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
luvmykrib
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 256
Votes: 27
female canada
You should add at least one hardy fish or you will lose the bacteria, unless you add ammonia. Cycle does not have an ammonia source in it as far as I can tell. You must provide that. The bacteria are held in stasis until they are put into the tank and an ammonia source is present. Once you have one fish in, tyake readings until they stabilize, then it may be safe to add more. Do it slowly over a period of months as LHG has stated. Otherwise you will cause a mini-cycle, which could cause you to lose fish.

"If you're afraid you'll make a mistake, you won't make anything."
-Family Circus
Post InfoPosted 06-Mar-2006 08:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by Longhairedgit
Yeah, perhaps I wasnt clear, one or two fish now, and the rest over the next few weeks or months, taking regular water perameter tests. Dont choose species to start with that need large shoals.
Post InfoPosted 06-Mar-2006 14:50Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies