TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by robynj
I'm currently cycling 2 tanks, 1 thats 43.5G(Day 4) & the other is nearly 20G (Day 19). No fish in the bigger tank yet & 2 guppies in the 20G. So, I'm getting closer to my 1st water change for the 20G. I have a couple of dumb questions. How does everyone else go about making sure the water they put back into the tank is the right temp. Do you just mix a little hot water into it

2nd Quenstion: I have a gravel vac that connects to my faucet, so that I don't have to lug buckets over my carpet, when I'm either emptying or filling. I was told it is the same as a similar tank filler/emptier called Python - which maybe better known. Re: conditioning the water, when I'm filling direct from the faucet. The instructions say that I just add the water conditioners directly to the tank that I will be filling from the faucet & that this action will take care of treating the water that I'm adding. Does that sound like it would work Thanks

Thought I'd edit this post with my water test results. This is for day 20 in the cycling period. I looked at the cycling graph that's in one of the beginner articles - seems to say 1st water change in the cycle period is about day 50. Does anyone know if the test results I have should cause me to worry??

DAY:19 Ammonium: 0,8 PH: 7.5 Nitrate: 20ppm Nitrite:0

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 09:28Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
For the replacement water which I have stored in two 25lt and a 11lt water containers.

I heat them up by placing them (one at a time) into the laundry trough which is filled with hot water.

To be honest I have never tested this temp. I use the theory near enough is good enough. It is usually hotter than the tank temp. I have been doing this for at least 25 years.

Have a look in [link=My Profile]
http://www.fishprofiles.com/interactive/forums/profile.asp?userid=6741[/link] for my tank info

Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 10:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Bob Wesolowski
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1462
male usa
Robyn,

I use the Python for my water changes. I have a 125G tank with discus that receives a 50% water change twice each week.

When I am ready to begin refilling the aquarium, I temper the cold water with hot water until I feel that the tap temperature is about the same as the tank temperature, then I begin to fill the aquarium.

I monitor tank temperature as I fill. The base temperature is generally 29C and I rarely have more than a 0.2C variance when I fill.

Water conditioner is added as soon as I begin to fill the aquarium. I use Prime. Instructions indicate that you add directly to the aquarium, the dose should be based on the volume of the aquarium not the volume of the water change.

In any case, I have had no problems using the above procedure.

Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 18:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
illustrae
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 876
female usa
I have the Lee's system that is similar to Python, too, and I use pretty much the exact same procedure as Bob... It's been working well so far with no adverse effects.

Hoping that there must be a word for everything I mean...
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 19:00Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland

As for your water tests. Glad you read that article I know it helped me a bit but it wasn't till I'd actually gone through the process that I fully understood everything . I'm worried about the ammonia spike you are seeing. Did you have your nitrIte spike already? Wait until your ammonia has fallen back down to zero before doing a water change unless the fish are showing signs of stress .

^_^

Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 23:51Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by robynj
Thanks everyone. Mine is the Lee's system - same as your's illustrae - so it sounds like I now know what to do now when the time comes for the 1st change. Thanks for all your advice. Babelfish, until yesterday, I didn't have a text kit for nitrate or nitrite, so I don't know what was happening there previously. Maybe I'll just keep a running commentary here over the next few days of what the test results are. I hae a 2nd tank, which is in a much earlier stage of cycling, & I'll post those too. I've never cycled before & appreciate help to get it right before I add addiitonal fish.

Edit: I started a new thread under water quality with my next results - thought it probably belonged there

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 27-Jan-2006 00:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
coffeeman
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 60
Votes: 21
usa
I'm a little surprised nobody else mentioned this - I have a spare thermometer. I set that in my sink and run the water from the python over it and adjust the temp until it's within a degree or so of my tank, then I use the valve on the python to turn it off, walk over to my tank and start filling. Much better than guessing, IMO.
Post InfoPosted 30-Jan-2006 08:23Profile ICQ AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Excellent tip coffeeman - never would have thought of something so simple myself.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 30-Jan-2006 10:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
Robyn! Where did you get your python from? I've had no luck at all finding these contraptions.

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 30-Jan-2006 13:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hi Lindy

Mine is called Lees Ultimate Gravel Vac, but was told it is the same as a python. Never having seen a python, I dont know if they are the same or not. I havent used mine yet, so cant speak from experience, but I think it will work well. I ordered it from [http://www.aquamail.com.au/]. The 2nd link here [http://www.aquamail.com.au/prodinfo.htm] will hopefully take you to their products. Click on GravelVac on left of screen & the product details come up. Delivery was fairly quick.

Just in case my linking skills aren’t up to scratch, here are the contact details for you.
Showroom: 2A / 185 Lake Rd, Port Macquarie NSW 2444

E-mail Orders sales@aquamail.com.au
Mail Orders Aquamail PO Box 5345 Port Macquarie NSW 2444 Australia
Freefax 1800 355 699
Freecall 1800 355 799

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 30-Jan-2006 14:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
Thanks heaps Robyn!
Good luck with the new tanks.

Lindy

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 30-Jan-2006 15:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
coffeeman
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 60
Votes: 21
usa
Never having seen a python, I dont know if they are the same or not. I havent used mine yet

I've compared them side by side (my LFS sells both - go figure) and the lees is identical to the python in just about every aspect other than color. It seems sturdier too, so as parts on my python break, I am going to try replacing them with lees parts.

FYI - I always keep a spare male and female hose connector around for the python. Those break from time to time on mine. I've also broken the shutoff valve, so I ran without it for a while by connecting the hoses to each other directly.

The faucet hookup has never broken, but as I hook it to a hose to drain outside (don't need that extra water in my septic system) the metal of the hose is wearing down the plastic of the python and I am thinking of replacing it soon.

I also realized by looking at the spare parts that it would be cheaper to build one than buy one again
Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2006 08:48Profile ICQ AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
SJinNJ
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 447
Votes: 16
male usa us-newjersey
I still fill old milk gallons and let them the water air out. Since the water is at room temp 70 degrees and my tanks are around 77-78 I just add it in. The temperature never seem to flucuate more then 1.5 degrees doing 20% water changes.
Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2006 04:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies