Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe20 Gallons Of Fun
lsburton
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 7
Votes: 2
male usa
Well I just started my first tank in like 15 years. I decided to do a planted tank with a couple of swords and a bunch of bogwood that I found at the LFS. I kind of rushed putting my plants in though.
Anyways I don't know if I got some friendly bacteria from my plants or if I just did something odd in my fishless cycling but I haven't had a huge spike or anything and my nitrates are holding at a steady 20ppm. I did float my plants in the water overnight in the plastic baskets.
I'm curious if I should get my first little group of tetras or cory cats this weekend or not?
Has anyone else tried cycling with a planted tank? What were your experiences?
Post InfoPosted 28-May-2008 22:48Profile PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
What did you add as an ammonia source, and how much? Perhaps you just didn't add very much. If you did add ammonia properly and your cycle has gone like you described, it's probably okay to get your first fish.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 29-May-2008 04:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
rock wool (the stuff that is arond the roots of potted plants) usually has some bacteria and the leaves and crevices of the plants woould also, but not enough to spped up a cycle very much. i would suggest you finish the cycle as it hasnt piked yet and therefor it seems a cycle has not happened... if you add a hardy terta you might be ok, but i wouldnt recommend you do it until you get a good cycle...

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 29-May-2008 04:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
I have had excellent success with fishless cycling in both my 10g and my recently set up 55g. I added a few drops (not much at all) of ammonia daily until I saw the ammonia spike. Then I let the cycle do its thing. I used some filter media from an established tank, and I used plenty of bacteria "boost" (in a bottle).

After a few days to a week you'll begin to see nitrites slowly build, then spike and the ammonia goes to 0 ppm. Once the Nitrites come back down to 0 ppm, you'll be cycled. You'll probably have nitrates the whole time, you'll just see more nitrates as the tank cycles.

There's an excellent article on fishless cycling, just lookin the articles section. It's really quite simple and should only take a week to two weeks. My 55g took two weeks, my 10g took a few days.

While the plants wont hurt the cycle, they probably won't add alot to the process either.

You could go with a few zebra danios to hasten the cycle, but really there's no need to add fish before the cycle is complete, you jsut need patience. Don't add just any old fish before the cycle completes or you'll severely burn or kill them. And that's just no fun! lol

Good luck, keep us posted! Welcome to FP!
Post InfoPosted 29-May-2008 04:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lsburton
-----
Small Fry
male usa
Well I had looked at this method for planted tanks.
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_newtank.htm
However, I did use some bacteria boost as well and it was my understanding that you could use fish food as an ammonia source but I haven't tried that as the planted tank method said it was unnecessary. Hmm, maybe I will experiment with some clear ammonia this weekend to see if it can handle it. I did get that white cloudy water thing happening though, a bit after the boost was added, assuming that was the bacteria bloom.
Thanks for all the info everyone and if you have any more it will be greatly appreciated
Post InfoPosted 29-May-2008 13:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
male usa
Just add the ammonia slowly and monitor the levels as they grow... once I hit 1 ppm for a few days straight, I pretty much let the cycle take over and quit adding ammonia. Test daily and add ammonia sparingly, a few drops at a time.

Make sure it's clear, pure ammonia only, no additives, colors or scents.
Post InfoPosted 29-May-2008 13:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lsburton
-----
Small Fry
male usa
Ok
I got some ammonia and going to see what happens. By the way, I was getting a 0.25 - 0.5ppm reading on my ammonia test kit today before i put it in. I will test everything tomorrow just to see what's going on. Thanks again for the help!
Post InfoPosted 29-May-2008 21:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
male usa
good luck, my friend... like I said, sneek up on that ammonia... you jsut really want to get the thing started, the bacteria will do the work, you just have to give them some ammonia to start with.
Post InfoPosted 30-May-2008 02:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lsburton
-----
Small Fry
male usa
Quick update:
woke up this morning to find a snail doing laps around my tank... not sure what kind it is but man.. i never saw a snail move that fast.
Post InfoPosted 01-Jun-2008 13:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
male usa
lol, I have seen the same thing in my tanks... it's liek they run races, hilarious....
Post InfoPosted 02-Jun-2008 00:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lsburton
-----
Small Fry
male usa
Ok i got my ammonia/nitrite spike done.
I have noticed that my alkalinity keeps reading really low but my hardness is really high. I did a water change around 50% tested my water before introducing into the aquarium. Everything reads great. Put it in and test it about an hour later and still getting these weird readings.
Can the bogwood be lowering my buffering capacity. I have never really used it before and wondering if I should take some of it out.
Any ideas?
Post InfoPosted 07-Jun-2008 16:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
Depending upon the KH reading of your tap water, the bog
wood will lower your pH toward the acidic, and generally,
if the KH is low the GH will also be.

KH is the Carbonate Hardness and is an indication of
the buffering ability to neutralize acids. The acids
in the tank are the results of the breakdown of organic
wastes into organic acids, and also the wood releases
tannic acid (like in teas) into the water. How much those
acids affect the tank depends upon cleanliness and the
type of wood.

Generally you would want your KH to be around a 3 or 4.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 07-Jun-2008 20:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
amilner
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 654
Votes: 0
male uk
I use a small amount of established gravel from an existing tank. Have to check for previous outbreaks of desease/bacteria though unless you trust the source.
Post InfoPosted 08-Jun-2008 11:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lsburton
-----
Small Fry
male usa
Well just to let everyone know, I have some happily active black neons in the tank now. I just got 5 to start with but might get a couple more in the long haul, want to see how things play out. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.
Post InfoPosted 11-Jun-2008 12:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
male usa
EditedEdited by scottf
great! hows the cycle? did you get through that ok??
Post InfoPosted 15-Jun-2008 00:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lsburton
-----
Small Fry
male usa
Yah the cycle went fine. The black neons are very active now and don't go into hiding as much. They have started swimming up to the front of the tank when I look in at them. The plants also seem to be doing a bit better as well.
Post InfoPosted 15-Jun-2008 14:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
male usa
Isburton, glad to hear things are going well... just keep a close eye on the water quality, do a 20-25% water change weekly, vacuum 10-20% of the gravel weekly and you ought to keep things nice and healthy in there for your little tankmates!
Post InfoPosted 17-Jun-2008 03:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies