Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe55Gallon particle board stand
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
about 4 years ago i purchased a stand which i think is made of particular board or ply wood. it has gotten wet over some possible lazy times of not noticing water was on it or not wiping the water off. it seems to be sturdy but im worried one day it will just collapse under the weight. am i being a worry wort or is this a real possibility? some of the paint has cracked due to being on a slightly unlevel floor and having shims under it for leveling and swelling from small amounts of water but you cannot peel it apart and like i said it seems fairly sturdy.
Post InfoPosted 22-Jun-2013 14:23Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Is it all particle board or is the frame made of solid wood?

It's totally possible for the whole thing to collapse, I'd look into getting a new stand ASAP. Even if it doesn't collapse it could shift the weight of the tank in a way that it puts uneven stress on some of the seals.

If it's partially made of solid wood, you may be able to replace the parts that have water damage with a thick plywood.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 26-Sep-2013 02:15Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited 27-Sep-2013 21:22
Hi,
Most particle board that I've seen is sawdust and glue with some sort of cover (vinyl, paper, or plastic) over it. While strong enough to support the tank (around 550 pounds) they are generally speaking not water proof and neither is the glue holding the sawdust together. Another type, commonly used in construction is made of "chips" of wood, again glued together. Depending upon what the wood is intended for, it (the glue) can be water proof But I have not seen this used in aquarium stands.

The better wooden tank stands are generally made of oak, a good hard wood. Another option is, of course, the metal stands (preferably wrought iron).

If you are going to replace parts with plywood, be sure to use marine plywood. It is designed for boat hulls and it will not fall apart in a wet/water environment.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 27-Sep-2013 21:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies