Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAcrylic Vs. Glass
golopus
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 7
Votes: 1
usa
i would like to hear from people about which tank they prefer. acrylic or glass. i have never owned an acrylic tank, and i would like to hear some pros/cons thanks.
Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2007 01:52Profile PM Edit Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
If you're going for a smaller tank, definitely pick glass. Glass is much easier to scrape algae off of. The advantage with larger acrylic tanks is that they're much lighter to carry or move (although this is usually only a factor when you're setting up), and also very crack resistant. They say acrylic is more insulating, but I don't think it makes a huge difference. Acrylic does scratch much more easily, which is why algae is easier to scrape on glass - you can use plain old razor blades without scratching it.

For a saltwater tank, however, I would never use acrylic again. The coralline algae that grows in SW is just too hard to scrape off without being able to use something hard like razor blades.

><>
Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2007 03:42Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
I much prefer glass. It's tougher, doesn't scratch as easily, and cheaper. Biggest downside is it's heavier so to get my 90g tank downstairs we had to brace it and slowly slide it down the stairs instead of carrying it. We aren't sure how we're going to get it back upstairs when we move. My small acrylic tank is trashed from trying to wipe algae off it. You need special algae magnets and high quality acrylic or it scratches way too easily. You can fix acrylic scratches without too much effort and money though while if you scratch glass it's easier and usually cheaper to just replace the tank. Anything under 90g I'd always choose glass. I've only noticeable scratched 1 glass tank before.
Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2007 04:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
illustrae
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 876
female usa
EditedEdited by illustrae
If you've got the cash for it, Acrylic looks very nice, and I havn't had any problems at all with scratches or getting algae off. If you're looking for a nice display tank for a living room or something, go acrylic. It's really not as fragile as everyone seems to think. At least, not in my experience. I've had a 30 long acrylic tank for 2 years. My tank is planted, and there have been times when I've neglected it and parts of the tank have been absolutely caked in tough green algae. However, with a little elbow grease and the proper scrubbing pad (one specifically for acrylic tanks) the algae comes off as easily as it does on glass, no metal scraper needed. I even use my acrylic scrubbing pads to remove algae from my glass tanks, and have never invested in a scraper or mag-float scraper or anything like that.

However, Glass tanks are much cheaper, and I agree that if you are setting up a marine tank and will need to remove coralline algae, go with glass. One other potential downside to acrylic tanks is that the tops are nearly completely covered for stability, and there are usually only two large access holes and some smaller equipment openings. This can cause a problem if you plan on putting large decorations in the tank. I had a hell of a time getting some of my driftwood in my acrylic tank, and I'll be lucky if I can get it back out again.

Hoping that there must be a word for everything I mean...
Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2007 18:31Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
hi,
In general, you get more tank for your money with a plastic
tank, than for a glass tank. Glass weighs more, and costs
more to ship, so the prices are higher.

Plastic scratches easier than does glass.
They do make rubbing compounds to eliminate the smaller
scratches in an acrylic tank and scratch filler for the
deeper ones. However using them on the inside surfaces
means that you have to empty the tank down below the
scratch to be repaired, repair it, allow it to cure, and
then refill the tank.

Just the act of vacuuming the gravel will scratch a
acrylic tank. As you push the head of the siphon into the
gravel you press the gravel against the surface and scratch
it. Algae will seem to grow in the same places, and over
time, you will be scratching the surface over and over
till it eventually becomes apparent.

Acryic comes in all sizes and shapes, even more so than
glass, because the plastic can be molded to nearly any
shape. The flexibility of the plastic can eliminate the
traditional "four corner" shape of the glass tanks, and
reduce the possibility of leaks.

It's a choice that is up to you.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2007 19:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
In general, you get more tank for your money with a plastic
tank, than for a glass tank. Glass weighs more, and costs
more to ship, so the prices are higher.

Unless we're talking about the tiny cheap 5gallon tanks at walmart that are made with very poor plastic all acrylic tanks around me cost more than an equivalent sized glass tank. Main reason I did go with a glass 90g. The acrylic version was another $80.
Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2007 21:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
divertran
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 469
Votes: 165
male usa
I've three tanks, one small 5gal acrylic, a 10gal and 29gal made from glass. I like them all. In over a year I've never scratched the acrylic tank. The only thing I dislike about it is the hood. It's not your ordinary rectangular tank, and it comes with the plastic molded hood with the light permanently sealed inside. Its a very bright light and I prefer something dimmer. The glass tanks I've had over two years and no problems with either of them.
Post InfoPosted 17-Jan-2007 02:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
pookiekiller12
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 633
Votes: 41
male usa
I prefer the glass tanks. However it is basically 6 of one and half dozen of the other. Pick the tank you like by the way it looks.
Post InfoPosted 17-Jan-2007 06:56Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
ku5626
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 61
Votes: 7
male usa
Personally, I wouldnt go with anything except glass, it is sturdy, although it is heavy, i think it is worth it to go through the hassle of setting up a glass aquarium. [If it is a bigger tank.] I am not sure if they last longer than acrylic or not, but it is easier to scrape algae off of, and you dont have to be as carful with them.
Post InfoPosted 18-Jan-2007 01:48Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies