SubscribeAdvice on a new tank
batzany
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 5
Votes: 0
female usa
EditedEdited by batzany
I'm putting some of my tax refund towards a new tank (my husband don't know this yet ). It will be kept in our living room. Because we have limited space, I need something that's sorta compact in design.

I've beeen looking at the SeaClear 40 tall Eclipse3 compatible tank, which can be viewed via a link below. It's pretty pricy cuz the Eclipse hood is a separate purchase. But it's the only larger sized tank I've been able to find that will fit the area, depth wise, where I plan to keep it. I'd wanted to go to 55g tall, but I haven't been able to find any that will fit there and look nice.

It will be a fully stocked & planted tank. That will definitely house some Boesemani & Celebes Rainbows, as well as some Cory Cats. Maybe some Opaline gouramis, Glowlight Danios, & some sort of tetra. Once the tank is fully established I do plan on adding a couple Otos cuz their awesome little fish.

I'm a little nervous about the 40 tall I'm considering cuz I've only found 1 review for it and She said hers leaked at some screw the factory had put in to hold it together

Does anyone have this SeaClear tank? If so, Is it worth the money?

Or if anyone can recommend a larger tank that's no more than 40" long by 13" deep (height doesn't matter)I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks & Take Care ~ Sherri

http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_Product_Nav_103_sku_897388_R_8643_enemerch_1.aspx?cm_re=103-_-FeaturedProductList0-_-897388
Post InfoPosted 21-Apr-2007 00:12Profile PM Edit Report 
Fishrockmysox
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 58
Votes: 12
female usa
Petco has 45 Gals that aren't too big, maybe like 48" at most. If it says that the tank leaks I wouldn't get it because you have to go through sealing the tank in the spots where it leaks which is QUITE a hassel.

I wish you luck!

-FS

10G- 6 Zebra Danios, 1 Upside Down Catfish
20G- 1 Goldfish
72G(maybe95)- Need Stock suggestions
Post InfoPosted 21-Apr-2007 01:51Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
What about a 35 gallon hex? That wont leave as much as bottom room, but is compact and looks very nice in a living room! You can also add tall plants that grow very large! A hex will look very nice and carpeted, with less gravel money spent! The tall plants in the back, and the carpeted plants in the front, and the medium plants in the sides!

The ottos are going to be AWESOME in there, and the tetras will love it. The glo-lights will also like it. The regular 20 gallon is about the length of the hex, but much shorter. You should get the filter, and the hood with/without the lights, all separate. The total cost will be a little less (i think) and you will get much better quality and personality into the tank. Trust me, i have tried the Eclispe. Good luck!

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 21-Apr-2007 04:32Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
djrichie
----------
Big Fish
Rough but Honest [img]htt
Kudos: 309
Votes: 45
male usa
I would stay way from any all in one tanks. They make you have limited control over what types of plants,(light requirements) If your filter go bad, everything go bad. Go to all glass aquariums online and look at all the different styles available to you. in the short term you may pay a little more, but down the road you will be much happier. You can get a simple stand or you get a fancy one or something in between. Like most people who really love this hobby part of it the designing and building the perfect tank for you. Maybe look at a bow front they have a nice foot print and come in different sizes.

Djrichie
"So Long, and Thanks For All The Fish" Douglas Adams
Post InfoPosted 21-Apr-2007 09:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 21-Apr-2007 09:04
This post has been deleted
batzany
-----
Fingerling
female usa
I had a 75 gal all glass tank with a canopy & stand before we moved. I only like the All Glass tanks with the canopies, never been crazy bout the full light hood look. And once I bought the tank, stand, canopy, filter, heater, plants, & stock it with fish it would be a whole lot more than this 40 gallon I'm looking at.

I know all of the down falls of the Eclipse system cuz I have a 5 gal Eclipse hex right, and did have a 12 gal & four 6 gal Eclipse bow fronts. I know that alot of people have lost fish because their filters failed. I also know they go through a mini-cycling process everytime the filter is turned off. Being only 5' tall it's much easier and convenient to have the Eclipse system. I keep a couple internal filters around incase the Eclipse filter fails (which has never happened yet) & use BIO-Spira to stop those mini-cycles.

found 1 review at Petsmart & it said it leaked. Found 1 review at Petco that said they loved it & were planning on buying more. So basically they were of no help ~ lol

I just can't fathom SeaClear screwing together their acrylic tanks. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a returned tank that someone tried to fix after breaking it or If it was the store.

Either way I'm going in person to look at the tank, and if I see any screws, I'm definitely not buying it.
Post InfoPosted 24-Apr-2007 00:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
batzany
-----
Fingerling
female usa
Never made it to the store cuz we found 3 small lumps on Mini Schnauzer, Roxy, and our tax return is now going toward the surgery to have them removed & biopsied. She's had 2 of these surgeries in the past and both times the lumps were benign fatty tumors so were hoping that will be the case again. So it looks like I'll have to wait for next years tax return
Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2007 21:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
AW that's just too sad
All the best for Roxy! let us know how she does.

In the mean time keep an eye in the papers ect you never know when someone might be selling a tank for pretty cheap. And now you've got a year to plan .

^_^

Post InfoPosted 01-May-2007 01:02Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies