L# Ammonia levels
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAmmonia levels
SkittyKat
Small Fry
Kudos: 4
Votes: 0
female usa us-newyork
I started my tank about 3 weeks ago and I just checked my ammonia readings with an api kit. It has me a bit puzzled as the readings are saying im in the range of 8.0 but I have a clown loach,corycatfish and a pleco and none show signs of poisoning. Could it be that I bought a faulty kit or should I trust it and take steps to combat the levels.
Post InfoPosted 16-May-2012 00:54Profile PM Edit Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited 16-May-2012 14:16
Hi,
The reason the fish are not showing any symptoms is that they have adjusted to the slowly worsening water conditions. A tank that is three weeks into the Nitrogen Cycle, is just getting started as it can take 4 to 6 weeks for a tank to fully cycle. An ammonia reading of 8 is not unusual in the beginning of the cycle.

Read This:

http://fishprofiles.com/faq/begin-cycling.php

It will explain what is happening wiithin your tank.
Essentially, any decaying fish food, and fish waste (urea and stool) will create the high ammonia reading. This ammonia feeds bacteria that is found everywhere, and the bacteria grow into large colonies that convert "eat" the ammonia and change it into a compound called Nitrite. When this occurs, the test readings for Nitrite will start to climb from zero. This nitrite, in turn, is food for a bacteria that converts (eats) the nitrite into Nitrate. When this happens the test reading for Nitrate will start to climb from zero. Nitrate, is harmless and is used by plants and algae as food. It is the Nitrogen Cycle. As the cycle matures, the ammonia reading will drop to nearly zero, as will the nitrite reading, and the only test that that produces a noticeable reading will be the nitrate test.
Once the cycle is complete, indicated by zero readings of ammonia & Nitrite, you will need to manage the Nitrate reading (maintaining it at 10 or below, depending upon the species of fish and amount of plants) by vaccuming the gravel to get rid of excess fish food and fish waste, and at the same time replacing a percentage of the tank water with fresh water.

The fish that you are using, inadvertently to cycle the tank, are not the best and can be injured during the process. The next time you decide to setup a new tank, you might want to use the "Fishless Cycling" process which is also in the FAQ section of this forum.

Before you panic, you can take a water sample to your local pet store and have them make an ammonia test as well. I believe they will come up with a reading close to yours and thus verify your test kit.

Read the link I included at the beginning of my reply FIRST, it will tell you all about what is happening, and offer suggestions as to what to do about any abnormally high readings. If you do not, and you go to the fish store first with your water they will try to sell you all sorts of chemicals to correct the "problem" that are not really necessary.

Hope this helps...
Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 16-May-2012 14:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
SkittyKat
Small Fry
female usa us-newyork
Alright thank you. Should I do a water change or just let it cycle? I dont want to harm my fish because of my lack of knowledge. I also was reading the fishless cycle and read you have to put pure ammonia in the tank. Is that safe to do?
Post InfoPosted 16-May-2012 16:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
If they are eating and swimming normally, then I'd let things go and check the water parameters twice a day.
You should see the nitrite reading start to show up and then climb and with that the ammonia should then start to drop off, shorly after ( day or two) the nitrate reading should show up and start to climb and the other two begin to decrease.

Yes, straight ammonia is safe to use.... HOWEVER, it MUST
be straight ammonia and NOT with any additives (stuff to
make it smell better, or avoid streaking, etc. It must be straight, pure, ammonia.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 17-May-2012 00:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
You'll want to be careful handling the ammonia (that stuff will clear your sinuses in a hurry), but it is safe. Keep in mind that is for a fishLESS cycle, so as you have fish in the aquarium now, you won't want to use that technique until next time you start or cycle an aquarium that does not have fish in it. In your case the fish will supply the ammonia, and adding it as with the fishless cycle will only make things worse.

><>
Post InfoPosted 17-May-2012 01:41Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
SkittyKat
Small Fry
female usa us-newyork
Well I just set up a 25 gallon I purchased awhile back. Was looking at different techniques. The nitrites are spiking now so im pretty sure its right at the end of the cycle. Fingers are crossed I dont have much more to go.
Post InfoPosted 17-May-2012 03:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies