Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAny ideas?
cichlidl0ver
Fingerling
Kudos: 15
Votes: 3
male canada ca-ontario
Hi all.
I/m relativly new to the hobby of fish keeping, but I've decided I want to keep cichlids. I've done my research and bought 3 Neolampologus brichiani aswell as 2 fossil fish and a mbuna. The only problem is that my mbuna of 4" does nothing but sit in the back of his cave with the catfish all day! He'll sit there for 4 hours and will only come out when i put food in and turn out the light. I have a 8 gallon tank with the whole back a rck face. I will post pictures later today. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Post InfoPosted 18-Nov-2009 13:04Profile PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
EditedEdited 19-Nov-2009 20:00
A 4" fish has no business being in a tank as small as 8 gallons. I'm not familiar with mbuna but the inactivity may be due to the extremely small tank size. Now if that was a typo and you meant 80 gallons, then I'm not sure why the mbuna might be acting that way.

You mention being relatively new; is the tank still cycling? That could certainly cause unusual behavior.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 19-Nov-2009 08:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
cichlidl0ver

I dont know how you have done your research the information you are working on is totally incorrect.
To start of with that 8gal is not a 8gal any way because of the rocks and backing.

That tank is way to small for that type or any large type of fish.

I would also be interested if you have cycled the tank. If you did cycle it what are all the parameter readings, plus how were these reading done.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 19-Nov-2009 08:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Ira
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 181
Votes: 1
male newzealand
Yeah, sounds like you the poor guy doesn't have much more water than the bag you would have brought him home in.

Get a bigger tank. 4X2X2 is a nice medium size tank.
Post InfoPosted 19-Nov-2009 10:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
cichlidl0ver
Fingerling
male canada ca-ontario
Sorry i meant to say it was an 18 gallon tank and im upgrading to 40 next month. My tank is done cycling I had had it running for about a month, just to be careful. My thermostat is at 77F. But i think he was just getting used to the aquarium this morning he was being very energetic.
Post InfoPosted 19-Nov-2009 12:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
A 40 gallon will be much better; an 18 gallon is too small for all of those fish.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 20-Nov-2009 00:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Be very very careful. The tank is too small, but if that is what you've got and it is temporary, then one of the ways you can ensure better water quality is to cut feeding down to a tiny little bit every 2-3 days. Make sure the filter is on 24/7, and get that 40G ASAP

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 20-Nov-2009 01:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
cichlidl0ver
Fingerling
male canada ca-ontario
thanks everyone for the ideas. Im currently looking into fire bellid newts to keep with my mbuna. Will he eat them, or will theyre be any problems? Also i remeasured my mbuna. Hes 3' inches long; I measured wrong (DOH!>.< So now I have no idea why he wont come out and say hello.
Post InfoPosted 20-Nov-2009 15:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
Fish are opportunistic eaters. If the newts will fit into the fish's mouth... It will be dinner.

I have a firebellied newt. You have to remember that the newt can become terrestial. Be prepared to have a separate tank for the newts.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 20-Nov-2009 17:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
cichlidl0ver
Fingerling
male canada ca-ontario
Thanks for the info.
Post InfoPosted 21-Nov-2009 17:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies