L# Couple Stocking Questions
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCouple Stocking Questions
FallingForNova
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 5
female canada
So, I have my 33 gallon up and running. It's been going for about a month and everything is going wonderfully.

Right now I have:
1 betta
5 platies
4 guppies

I would kind of like to ad a 'centerpiece' fish to it, so this is where my questions come in.

Would Bolivan Rams work okay? I hear they're really peaceful fish, and I think they'd make a nice, cute addition to the tank.

Or,

Should I get a couple Honey Gourami's as centerpiece fish instead?

Now, I do have the option of removing the betta into a different tank, so that's not an issue. If he's being picked on, or the one doing the picking, I can move him out. Though, right now, he's getting along just fine with everyone (the tanks big enough that they can easily get away from him should he get it into his head to chase them).

Thanks in advance!

10 Gallon: Gold Danios 5 Gallon:Flik the Betta
33 Gallon: Platies, Guppies, Bolivian Rams, Honey Gourami's, and Spot the Spotted Climbing Perch
Post InfoPosted 01-Jul-2006 06:13Profile PM Edit Report 
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 498
Votes: 11
female usa
I think your tank is good as is. Your betta already is considered a "centerpiece" fish, and your plattys and guppies can easily fill that tank if they choose to breed. I think if you really want to add more fish, you could do a nice bottom feeder, such as a rubber lipped pleco, or mabey even a small cory school.

Inky
Post InfoPosted 01-Jul-2006 20:38Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Two Tanks
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 328
Votes: 13
female usa
If you go with a rubber nose pleco, make sure to quarantine it first. I had one, now deceased, that I believe brought me a bunch of nasty parasites. You might want to treat with some meds first, to make sure he doesn't have any bugs. He was a cute little guy, and it is too bad I did not catch it sooner.
Cories are a good option too, or a small school of ottos - if you have a problem with algae. I have not had any problems with either.
If you betta is doing well in your tank, just make him the centerpeice fish, but if you decide to give him a tank of his own it needs to be at least two gallons or more (five is better). Since he is now accustomed to your 33, moving him to a smaller tank, could be stressful.
Post InfoPosted 02-Jul-2006 00:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FallingForNova
-----
Fingerling
female canada
Thanks for your suggestions guys, but... I went out and bought two rams. Couldn't resist!

Not having any algae problems as of yet, and I think I'll be okay - we didn't have a problem when the tank was set up before (when I was younger). I was thinking ottos though (three or so) if I was going for something like that. I thought plecos got too big for my tank?

It's okay about the betta. I have two - one's in my 10 gallon by himself now. I've actually had both in this tank with these fish (seperate times, of course), and both have been in the 10 gallon by themselves, and together. So, if it comes to it, they can share the ten gallon. Thanks for the concern though.

33 Gallon: Platies, Guppies, Bolivian Rams, Honey Gourami's, and Spot the Spotted Climbing Perch
Post InfoPosted 02-Jul-2006 02:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
katieb
-----
Fish Addict
Votes: 69
female usa
"I thought plecos got too big for my tank?"

It depends on the species. The "Common Pleco" can be close to 2 feet.

Bushy-nose and rubber-nosed are much more managible.

I'll do graffiti,
If you sing to me in French.
Post InfoPosted 02-Jul-2006 04:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FallingForNova
-----
Fingerling
female canada
Ah, okay then. I'll keep 'em in mind when I get some algae in the tank. Right now it's lookin' really nice and clean. Thanks!

Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2006 01:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies