AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# Getting Started
  L# Filtration Systems - What Works Best?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeFiltration Systems - What Works Best?
etgathrw
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
male usa
I am currently in stage one of building my first aquarium: research. I think I am beginning to get a solid foundation of knowledge on which to build and will soon be shopping around for my first tank. I was thinking that a twenty gallon might be a wise choice - big enough to experiment, not too big to maintain. Am I on the right track?

More importantly, in what filtration system should I invest? I keep hearing/reading conflicting opinions on all of them so far, especially UGFs. My primary concern is efficiency and low maintenance. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Post InfoPosted 01-Apr-2009 23:48Profile PM Edit Report 
Gourami
---------------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 477
Votes: 1
male usa
Get the biggest tank you can afford. The bigger the tank the easier it is to maintian. And it will give you more options on fish. I would go atleast with a 29 gallon. If you have the room and money go with a 55 gallon. Either of these give you alot of options and will be easier to keep stable.
Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2009 10:33Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
etgathrw
Small Fry
male usa
Gourami: Thanks for the insight. You seem to give good advice on this forum, so I was wondering if you had any wisdom to pass on in regards to filtration. I understand the need for biological and mechanical (and sometimes chemical), but which systems work best in your opinion? (e.g., UGF, canister, wet/dry, etc.)
Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2009 18:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
Personally, I feel that 55G is the end of the HOB filters
and the beginning of the need for a canister type of filter.
So, from a 55 up, I would use a quality canister
type of filter. They furnish a high turnover, with choices
of media, that will truly filter the tank.

I don't think I'd put a UGF in a 55 unless you used it as
a RUGF filter, and then, I'd cap off the two middle risers
and put power heads on the two nearest the edges of the
tank.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2009 23:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gourami
---------------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 477
Votes: 1
male usa
I personally don't use UGF's they just are practical in my experience. In smaller tanks I use a sponge filter with more frequent water changes. I totally agree with Frank on the canister filters over a 55 gallon. I have a 75 gallon I use a canister filter on. But all my other tanks use HOB's.
Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2009 23:15Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
EditedEdited by keithgh
All that leaves me to say start looking at Eheim, they are the top of the range as far as canister filters go. They are extremely reliable, and very quiet when running. The only problem with them you are paying for a quality filter. Don't get caught up in a cheaper canister that filters at a faster rate Gall Per Hour. It is the method of how the filtration is done that actually counts.

EHEIM

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 03-Apr-2009 04:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
Welcome to the hobby. Everyone's given you good advice. Go for the biggest that you have room for and can afford. As a newby, I quickly outgrew my first 20G. You can't put very many fish in a 20G & it won't take you long to wish your tank was bigger.

I like canisters for filtration.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 03-Apr-2009 04:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
etgathrw
Small Fry
male usa
Wow. All of you have given such great advice. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and wisdom. I'd like to get it as close to right as I can on the first try and this forum has been a great help.
Post InfoPosted 03-Apr-2009 15:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
20 is a decent place to start, but it is very limited.

On our 55 we're running a canister with a spray bar, but also a HOB at the far end of the tank to assist in oxygenation and water circulation.

As the others have said the bigger the better, but also keep in mind that longer tanks (those with more surface area) are better than taller tanks. If a 20 is the maximum you can go for, look to find a 20 long (often called a breeder) rather than a standard 20. The reason for this is that they offer more surface area for which the gas exchanges to occur.

I'm highly against UGFs for ease of maintenance and quality of filtration, especially on larger tanks.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 04-Apr-2009 02:54Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I have used UGF for many years and never had a problem. They are like all other filters they must be installed and run correctly to get the benefit of them. By that I mean the UGF 'must" cover 100% of the base of the tank this can be a problem but easily fixed just cut some pieces to fit as they are always interlocking systems.

They "must" have a good air pump to work the air stones so that there is always plenty of water circulation going through the substrate.

Air Stones I only use the multi coloured plastic ones these can be screwed apart and cleaned they never wear out and will work far better than most of the other air stones.

Cleaning the UGF substrate requires using a deep gravel Vac at every water change I do a 50% every week. Once a month when I pull down and clean the Eheim Pro11 canister filter, I put a bigger soft plastic tube into the risers (I have 3) and this also does a deeper cleaning.

As you can see I am running two systems in my 5ft tank. What I am doing works for me and my tank and that is most important to have a very efficient filtration system.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 05-Apr-2009 02:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
divertran
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 469
Votes: 165
male usa
EditedEdited by divertran
Hi and welcome to the hobby and to FP. I am going to take a slightly different approach. Everyone here has give good solid advice. The tank size issue is a biggie. While it is very true that a the larger the tank, the easier it will be to maintain your parameters, (read the article on getting started in this section and pay attention to the section on cycling the tank), before you select a tank size do the research and determine the species of fish you wish to keep. Many species require a minimum size tank (also beware that the minimum tank size on the tags at petstores is usually inaccurate, they are trying to sell them, remember). Then get the tank you will need for the fish you want. As for filtration, I'd go with a HOB on anything up to a 55. Even on a 55 I'd probably opt for a cannister. Then keep in mind the fish also, some species are more tolerant of srtong filters, some thrive in weaker currents etc. Personally, I dislike the ugf's. But that's me, many ppl have great success with them.
I'm not trying to discourage anything but in fishkeeping there really isn't anything in the low maintenance arena. Your water quality and parameters will determine the need for maintenance.
Post InfoPosted 06-Apr-2009 02:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies