Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeFirst Aquarium (of my own)
camliner
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 5
Votes: 3
male usa
I have wanted to start an aquarium for a while and am finally getting to it. I am starting small with a 10 gal. tank.

I went through the first cycle which I read about on many websites. Today, I have added 2 Cherry Barbs, 1 Green Tiger Barb, and 1 Mystery (name at the pet store) Snail.

My questions:
Is this an OK mix?
Do I need to build two schools (Cherry and Green Tiger) or will the different Barbs school together?
Is the single snail alright?
My wife would like to add a Beta later, but I have read that Barbs are bad "nippers", what do you all think?

Thanks!
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2007 06:15Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Glad you found us camliner we'll set you on the right track

How did you cycle your tank? What are your ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte readings?

Adding that many fish at once is not a good idea, especially a new one. The green tiger barb should be taken back. Tiger barbs 1)get large 2)are active 3)are nippers against most others including variaious morphs.

If the tank isn't cycled (no nitrAte present and zero ammonia nitrIte) the fish in the tank may have a bit of a hard time.

Bettas are great. Usually they do their best on their own. In a few weeks when you're ready to upgrade to a 50gallon (they're easier to maintain) a betta will be quite happy in the 10 gallon with the snail.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2007 06:47Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
like stated, that was alot of fish for a 10 gallon and for cycling. While it isnt certain doom, it is full.

I would also remove the tiger barbs because they will imit what you can stock. Also if you do get the betta, the tiger barb will most likly eat the fins.

With cherries, when your tank is fully cycle and the levels are all leveled out, i would go with cherries school. If you are looking for something more diverse, try looking at a school of albinos along with the regs. But not to much.

Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2007 07:51Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
I can attest to the difficulties that Tiger Barbs present. They are definitely high energy, great lil guys but they are nippy and fiesty and they wil certainly nip at other fish. Also, I think they probably need more room to roam that what they would get in a 10g tank. I have TB's in my 20 gallon and they race around in there like maniacs. They are fun to watch, but due to their nippy nature, I am probably going to leave my 20 gallon tank a species tank for tiger Barbs (regular, green and albino) and a couple of otos.

The best way, I think for someone to keep TB's in a community tank is to have a large tank (55g+) and a large school (8-10) of the Tiger Barbs so they nip each other and no the other tankmates.

Good luck with the new tank! Welcome to FP /:'
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2007 14:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
camliner
-----
Fingerling
male usa
EditedEdited by camliner
Great responses everyone!

I guess "Whoops" is the word here. The tank I bought suggested 1 inch per gallon and to fill it 1/3 with fish after 2 days of steady levels. I guess that was wrong?

I will be calling the pet store to see if I can take back the Tiger barb today, and will leave the tank with the 2 Cherry Barbs and the Mystery Snail for a while.

Edit (12:22PM) I was able to take the Tiger Barb back to the store... I bought some more plants to put in the tank so they have more stuff to swim around.

Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2007 15:39Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Yeah that levels being steady is a bit confusing. In essence it's right, but one has to understand exactly what it's refering to.

"Levels steady" refers to there being no ammonia, no nitrIte and a steady level of nitrAte present in the tank. However to get the NitrAte one must first go through the often deadly process of cycling a tank with an ammonia source. Fishless cycling is the most fishmane way of cycling a tank but is often difficult if one has already bought fish.

"Inch per gallon rule" works for small bodied fish like neon tetras, and for fish that arent heavy waste producers such as goldfish, plecos, ect.

I'm very glad you were able to take the tigerbarb back. Have you got a test kit yet? I'd suggest the aquarium pharmaceuticals master test kit at this point. Its a bit expensive at first but they're much much more accurate than the dip strips, and cheaper than buying each one indifidually. You'll want to be testing the water daily for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
Live plants will help reduce the harmful buildups of ammonia and nitrIte making the cycling process easier on the occupants.

Stick with us we'll make sure you're on the right track to proper fishy addiction .

^_^

Post InfoPosted 19-Jul-2007 01:30Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
wish-ga

----------
Mega Fish
Dial 1800-Positive-Posts
Kudos: 640
female australia
Welcome camliner.... I am impressed with the thought and care you are putting into your set up. Hope to see more of you on the boards.

(good one on taking back the barbs - I always get nervous phoning and asking... but on the upside most places say yes)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~ My fish blow kisses at me all day long ~~~
Post InfoPosted 19-Jul-2007 05:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
camliner
-----
Fingerling
male usa
EditedEdited by camliner
Thanks to Babelfish for the suggestion and Scottf for showing me a site to get the Master Test Kit a bit cheaper. I have one on the way!

@wish-ga - I try to always learn as much as possible in anything I do... I owe it to these fish to do things right the first time.
Post InfoPosted 19-Jul-2007 07:26Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies