Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeGood Filter For A 10 Gallon?
rocker23
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 70
Votes: 0
male canada
whats a good filter for a 10 gallon tank?
i really have no clue=P, i've seen many but the prices vary from 15$-30$. i don't rlly know which one to trust. i bought a hang on back for 25$ and it broke after a month
Post InfoPosted 11-Apr-2006 04:56Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
beetledance
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 21
Votes: 6
female usa
When you say "broke", do you mean that the plastic case broke, or the impeller/motor quit working? Is it possible you could take it back to the place you bought it?

Read up on the different types to see what you want: internal, HOB, undergravel. Some people swear by internals, but I don't want to have some huge plastic thing sitting inside an already-small tank, that I have to stick my hands inside the tank to clean filter media.

I am new at this but I think that HOB's are the easiest (and most idiot-proof) to deal with. I have a Whisper on one 10 gal, which totally sucks, the filter cartridge is tiny and gunks up every week so I am constantly cleaning it. Even though that tank is lightly stocked.

My other 10 gal has an Aquaclear 20 (which can be had for $15-20 around here), that I really like. I ordered a 2nd aquaclear to replace the stupid whisper.
Post InfoPosted 11-Apr-2006 05:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jbe0404
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 47
Votes: 70
male usa
EditedEdited by Babelfish
I have the Marineland Penguin 100 Biowheel on my 10 gal. It does a great job and is easy to maintain, and pretty inexpensive too. I will warn you though, when you first plug it in it makes a lot of noise for the first night or two. But it will quiet down. Here is a link to give you an idea about price.

Link
Post InfoPosted 11-Apr-2006 06:03Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
rocker23
-----
Hobbyist
male canada
hey thanks people.
the motor quit working after a month i think, i think the brand was aqua clear or something, i don't like undergravel filters, they look kinda corny with the two huge plastic things sticking out, and i hate bubbling noises
Post InfoPosted 11-Apr-2006 06:22Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
rocker23
-----
Hobbyist
male canada
i've seen that marineland penguin filters, sucks here in canada, they cost around atleast 30$.
we don't have petstmart. i'll get one next time i go 2 bellingham lol
Post InfoPosted 11-Apr-2006 06:24Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
Eheim aquaballs, small, dead silent, a choice of filter inserts, and can have the flow adjusted from a trickle all the way up to downright powerful. Excellent oxygenation from the venturi head means you dont need extra airstones either. You can add extra modules if you need more filtration too.Theyre going cheap because theyre about to be discontinued. I picked one up the other day for £8 , they used to retail at £30!

This is one running a 20 gal QT. Water is crystal , tests fine, and needs cleaning only monthly.

Post InfoPosted 11-Apr-2006 15:50Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
eogle
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 24
Votes: 56
male usa
I use an Aquatech Power Filter 5-15 on my 10g and it works great. Never had any problems with it, and activated carbon comes in the filter pads. Only have to change the filter once a month. Pretty inexpensive too. However, there is no place to put extra filter media if that is what you're looking for.

-Eric
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
Post InfoPosted 11-Apr-2006 18:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
divertran
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 469
Votes: 165
male usa
I have an aquacleare mini on mine and it's been running well for about eight months now. Also had the penguine before but flow was too fast for the tank now and needed a slower flowing filter. The ac fit the bill nicely.
Eheim aquaballs? what's that?
Post InfoPosted 11-Apr-2006 22:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
eogle
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 24
Votes: 56
male usa
Yeh, I couldn't find much about the aquaballs when I googled them. What's that all about?

-Eric
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
Post InfoPosted 11-Apr-2006 23:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
beetledance
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 21
Votes: 6
female usa
Aquaballs:
http://www.aquahobby.com/products/e_aquaball.php
Sounds wierd for an aquaclear motor to just quit. They are made by Hagen, supposed to be a solid brand.
Post InfoPosted 13-Apr-2006 05:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I have an Eheim 2008 it is ideal for a tank capacity 8-16 USGal there is also a 2006 10-12 Gal but I thought that was just not powerful enough for my 11G Betta tank.
The 2008 has an adjustable water flow and direction at the top, also a air line brings in outside air and creates a very fine bubble stream from the water outlet.
I do a ful pull down and clean weekly only takes a few minutes.

Top end $$$ but well worth it.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 13-Apr-2006 07:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Sideburns Dave
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 105
Votes: 21
male canada
an AC quit after a month? Hagen will back it up for two years but within 30 days your shop you purchased it from should do something about it...
Post InfoPosted 14-Apr-2006 02:42Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
~ Sin ~
----------
Mega Fish
Votes: 28
female australia
I've always been a big fan of my Penguin 125. Had it since 2003 & it's been great - quiet, easy on the maintenance, does a fab job.... tis all good
Post InfoPosted 15-Apr-2006 03:05Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies