AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# Getting Started
  L# How do you change the filter materials?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeHow do you change the filter materials?
reneeandpauly1
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 14
Votes: 4
female usa
Just wondering..
I have a decent sized filter with 2 things.. a blue pad and then a white scrubby pad that go side by side.. what care do I need to do in order to keep them both clean? I'm thinking that you only replace the blue filter and keep the bio (white) pad there.. is that correct or anything different?
Thanks!
/:'
Post InfoPosted 11-May-2006 06:26Profile PM Edit Report 
Fish Guy
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1254
Votes: 2
male canada
Well you really want the filter media do be dirty actaully, but if it get too dirty and blocks up, just rinse it under some cool water to get th surface dirt off.
Post InfoPosted 11-May-2006 11:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
The pads are where your bacteria live, which is what Fish Guy was talking about when he mentioned you want to keep them dirty .
However they do get clogged up as the larger particles are trapped (that's also what they're there for). So as the flow rate slows down, and or on a reglar basis gently squeeze out and rinse the pads in used tank water when you do a water change.
What I do is siphon a bit of the water into my WC bucket, then swish one of the two sponges in my filter through then as a final "rinse" I siphon a bit more water from the tank through the sponge while squeezing the excess out. Using the water from the tank preservs some of the bacteria on the sponge while at the same time removing most of the gunk that's clogging the filter.

Its' always a good idea to rotate which foam you rinse out, doing both at once can throw the tank into minicycle.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 11-May-2006 12:46Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies