L# How to desinfect
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeHow to desinfect
adios_adi
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 0
My fish are all death and i want to start again but i don t want to get the next lot of fish sic so i want to desinfect but i don t know how.
Post InfoPosted 29-Dec-2007 21:05Profile PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Empty the tank and rinse it out. Cleaning out a tank and then drying it is a pretty sure way to get everything out of it; not many aquatic organisms can take being dried out. Some people recommend stuff like bleach (mix bleach with water to dilute it), and after that you have to rinse out a lot to make sure you get all the bleach out.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 29-Dec-2007 22:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cavey

---------------
---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 198
Votes: 0
male australia
Maybe tell us a little about the tank you have as well, what sort and the number of fish you kept in there and how did they die(disease, fighting, etc).

This will let us help you set up better next time, so this doesn't happen again.

Good luck

Post InfoPosted 30-Dec-2007 00:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 187
Votes: 110
female australia au-queensland
For things like nets, I like to rinse them in vinegar then again in clean water, then dry them. The vinegar leaves them sweeter smelling and kills the algae spores.
Post InfoPosted 30-Dec-2007 03:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
AquaClear_Fan
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 25
Votes: 6
I would recomend using chlorine to disenfect the tank before starting again. After wiping out the tank with chlorinated water. Rinse it good with warm water, set it up and fill it using a good dechlorinator. Bleach to me is slimey and harder to get out.

17 years experience with freshwater.
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2008 06:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
Bleach basically is chlorinated water.

I agree with Shini. Let it sit dry for a week or so. If you're feeling particularly wary of putting things back in there, make up a 1:10 bleach to water solution and scrub it all down. After that, rinse rinse rinse until you think it's all out, and then rinse it 3 more times. Fill with clean water, use a dechlorinator, get an airstone running in it, and all the chlorine should gas off or be neutralized. Set up tank and season to taste.
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2008 07:25Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 478
Votes: 271
male australia
EditedEdited by hokese
honestly i think we all have our own specail home made way of cleaning,but i try not to use anything harsh like bleach or cleaning products,i have toothbrush,scrubing brush,and a sponge,that i only use on my tanks,filters and decore,nothing else,and all of these have never had any chemicals in them,beleave this or not,i use plane old salt,out of the kitchen,and coca cola(coke)from the fridge,i found the coke frys of all the gunk,and the salt frys out any nasties,also i think the 2 fizz up well,and this is why they do work,and you can get coke or salt from just about anywhere,on one tank i did use my high pressure washer,but i dont normally recomend this,i only done it,because the tank that i got,was in very bad nick,so i blasted it out,and blasted most of the silicone away,but i wanted to reseal it,cause it leaked bad....so it worked out well,but if your silicone is fine and water tite,keep the HPW AWAY FROM THE INSIDE OF YOUR TANK...hope this helps

ps,listen to what cavey said,this is very good advice...
Post InfoPosted 11-Jan-2008 10:35Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies