Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeHumidity?
Soidfuf
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 52
Votes: 12
male usa
They don't care what room it is in but they care if it makes the room too humid. I only want it in this room because visitors and my own family can see it often.
Post InfoPosted 27-Dec-2007 23:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FishKeeperJim
----------
Big Fish
Member MTS Anonymous
Kudos: 208
Votes: 186
male usa
Well from personal experience it wont unless you do not use a lid. Use a lid and no problems with humidity.

mts.gif" border="0"> I vote do you?
My Tanks at Photobucket
Post InfoPosted 27-Dec-2007 23:55Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
Another Compromise:

Ask them to put it up, and if it is too humid *Which it wont be* then just tell them you will put it away. Theres really nothing to lose, unless they kepp their minds to it and subconciously imagine that it is humider in there.

Just an idea.....

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2007 05:49Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Kudos: 138
Votes: 13
female usa us-massachusetts
It is very apparent what soiduf is fighting with against his 'smart' family. Please note the way I highlight smart ...

On the other hand: as it is also apparant that soiduf is the only one who would enjoy the tank on display, why not put it somewhere else?

BTW, I was serious about the calculation for the 'smart' brother. Maybe the smartie could utilize the $10,000s worth of computer equipment in said room to do it for him?
Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2007 06:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Soidfuf
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 52
Votes: 12
male usa
He said he doesn't need a calculation, since it is impossible for 55 gallons of heated water not to raise the humidity of a room without an air tight lid.
Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2007 21:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Well yes the tank will increase the humidity, that is quite correct. But I'm sure a coffee or a soda, or food or a breathing human has also entered that room at some point. And unless the room is hermetically sealed it's not going to stay in that room it'll dissipate.

Sounds like you're fighting a losing battle with your "smart" (*cough cough* ) brother Soidfuf. Just stick the tank in your room, and get yourself a laptop so you can chat with us about how great and wonderful and cool your tank is. Be sure to charge your "smart" brother $5 any time he wants to come into your room for any reason whatsoever.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2007 23:34Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
lochness&ruby
---------------
Small Fry
Kudos: 4
Votes: 9
female usa
EditedEdited by lochness&ruby
my 90gallon aquarium with a full hood and glass cover is a foot away from 2 tvs (one is used for an orig atari 2600 and the other is our main 40inch tv) - a dvd player, a vcr player a turn table and a large collection of atari cartridges, vinyl records, vhs tapes and dvds - a sony PS2 and 3 guitar hero guitars. It is 4 feet away from my 2 19inch computer monitors, 3 systems (linux & windows OSes)- the main one's case is off - a printer, cable modem, router, scanner and a laptop. it is 5 feet away from my overloaded bookshelf (no signs of mold, humidity or moisture - just alot of dust since I'm a terrible housekeeper)

i'm not only an aquarist but imma geek (and bless my husband that tolerates my equipment in the apt)

i don't have the glass lids all the way down so that there can be a trickle of atmospheric oxygen - the plastic holders that slide on the glass that you grab onto to open them sits above their grooves so there's about a 1/2 inch gap to allow for atmospheric air in a tank whose temp is a steady 79F - this is a small basement apt - and it is often too dry here in the winter time that I have a humidifier I turn on every few weeks to ease our breathing.

Your brother, quite frankly, is full of it.

edited cuz I forgot to mention my bookshelf
Post InfoPosted 29-Dec-2007 07:13Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
FishKeeperJim
----------
Big Fish
Member MTS Anonymous
Kudos: 208
Votes: 186
male usa
That pretty much says it all right there. /:'

mts.gif" border="0"> I vote do you?
My Tanks at Photobucket
Post InfoPosted 29-Dec-2007 14:54Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Kudos: 138
Votes: 13
female usa us-massachusetts
EditedEdited by catdancer
Ah, there we go, ignorance and an attitude instead of brains, just as suspected Let's face it, he is not capable of doing this calculation.

Free yourself of the idea that your brother is smarter than you and enjoy the tank in your room as other members have suggested! You might not get the tank in the location you want it but on the bright side you got an idea about your brother, not bad considering that you will have to share living quarters with him. Now you know about his alleged smartness. Should give you a boost of self confidence and tell you not to buy into his opinion based on his 'supreme knowledge and intelligence' in the future.
Post InfoPosted 29-Dec-2007 18:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishsage
-----
Hobbyist
Tank You Daddy.
Kudos: 53
Votes: 16
male canada
One last thought... look in your furnace room and if you see anything with "lifebreath" printed on it, or HRV (Heat Recovery Ventilator) Then you are 100% safe.
I am a homebuilder, and I can guarantee you that the single biggest problem in a home in the winter is dry air. Leads to respiratory trouble, nosebleeds etc....
My 55 Gallon tank with loose lids is 6" from my laptop, 4 feet from out ent unit, and close to 2 other computers. Tell your bro he is so full of it that his eyes are brown!
Dan

55G -5x Bosemani, 3x Emerald Cory,3x Red Rainbow, 3x Turquoise Rainbow. 20G-Empty. 10G -4x Danio 3x Cory Fry 1 Gold Mystery Snail. 10G- 1x CAE, 2x Tetra 1x ADF
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2008 22:38Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies