AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# Getting Started
  L# Ideas on how to stock my 55 gal tank.
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeIdeas on how to stock my 55 gal tank.
jakegill12
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
Votes: 3
male usa us-washington
EditedEdited 22-Feb-2010 10:26
I just had to put down my 8 year old gold fish.want to start over what should I put in my tank. thinking about
2 rope fish
4 angels
1 redtail Shark
or
6 tiger barbs
5 bala sharks
4 Black Ghost Knifefish
Post InfoPosted 22-Feb-2010 06:28Profile PM Edit Report 
lowlight
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 94
male usa us-california
This is what I have in my 55gal.
5 Kuhli loaches
2 Siamese algae eaters
3 Otto's
14 Neon tetras
I will be adding 14 more schooling fish of some sort just don't know what yet. All of the fish in the tank get along very well. I hope this helps and don't forget to research the fish you want before you buy. Have fun.
Post InfoPosted 22-Feb-2010 07:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Bala sharks get too big and active for a 55 gallon tank. We have ones over 12" long and when they dart they need ROOM to swim. We have them in a 6 foot by 3 foot tank.

If you want tiger barbs get more than just 6. These are very active schooling fish and if kept in small groups such as you are planning may turn nippy on each other. I would say have at least a dozen.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 23-Feb-2010 00:06Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
jakegill12
Small Fry
male usa us-washington
EditedEdited 23-Feb-2010 00:51
OK how about
2 rope fish
12 tiger barbs
6 angle fish
or maybe
1 frsh water barracuda
Post InfoPosted 23-Feb-2010 00:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
I haven't kept tiger barbs, but I believe they aren't a good idea to combine with angelfish because of their nippiness.

I wouldn't keep a freshwater barracuda in a 55 gallon for very long. Of course a small one would be okay, but they can grow fairly large (1-2 feet). The also relatively common mosaic gar gets about 1 foot long, so is a smaller fish, but still should be kept in a tank larger than 55 gallons.

A similar yet smaller fish would be a species of halfbeak, though they're not exactly common.

Didn't see it mentioned, but black ghosts would of course outgrow this aquarium as well.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 23-Feb-2010 01:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Pretty sure shini is right with the tigerbarbs and angelfish.

If you want angels stick with tetras as schooling fish.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 23-Feb-2010 01:45Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
hca
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 434
Votes: 211
female usa us-illinois
With angels most tetras are good, just stay away from the neons/ cards.. when the angels grow they'll be lunch.

Harlie rasboras would work also
Post InfoPosted 23-Feb-2010 01:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jakegill12
Small Fry
male usa us-washington
I think this will work
2 rope fish
6 angels
12 tetras
maybe a few snails or shrimp to clean the tank.
Post InfoPosted 23-Feb-2010 01:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
LOOK HERE

This is only a guide but it will help you.

As previously mentioned about the Angles and Tetras that guide should help you with the research that you will have to do.

You could also be thinking of a algae cleaner down the track.
What ever you do do not get any SEAs reason the SAEs clean the natural slime off of the Angles.

Have you put any thought into live plants yet?

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 23-Feb-2010 02:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jakegill12
Small Fry
male usa us-washington
Yes but I dont have a clue what to put in my tank with minimal lighing that dosent die.
Post InfoPosted 23-Feb-2010 02:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lowlight
-----
Enthusiast
male usa us-california
keithgh, do you mean CAE or SAE because my SAE are 4-5 inches and don't bother anyone.

jakegill12, I have a couple different types of Anubius and Crypts along with some Java fern at .6 watts per gallon. These plants don't require much light at all and do just fine in my tank.
Post InfoPosted 23-Feb-2010 08:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Yes, that stock should work for the most part. Ropefish are predatory, but if the tetras are of a large enough size/deep body shape, then you should be all right. I'm pretty sure ropefish will eat shrimps, but maybe not snails.

Anubias and Cryptocoryne are great low-light plants. I will agree with those suggestions.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 23-Feb-2010 19:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
lowlight

It is definitely SAE and as far as I know Angles only.

I had angles and kept loosing them, I often noticed the SAEs cleaning the Angles.

Apparently when the FM is looking for a mate it secretes a slime(for a better word) and this is supposed to attract the males for her.

If you only have males this "might" not happen so much.

This info came from a Breeder and Importer.

The CAE is a totally different fish and behaves aggressively as it gets older and bigger.

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 24-Feb-2010 03:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jakegill12
Small Fry
male usa us-washington
EditedEdited 24-Feb-2010 07:48
Thank for the info.
I'm doing a 75% water change and going to get some plants online soon(the LFSs look bad).
The fish I plan on getting
2 rope fish
6 angles
and found a dragon goby.

and is a tetra Whisper EX70 a good filter.
Post InfoPosted 24-Feb-2010 07:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lowlight
-----
Enthusiast
male usa us-california
I would research the fish you want to get. I personally wouldn't put those fish together in anything less than a 100 gal minimum. I don't know about the Tetra filters and have heard good things about Aqua Clears. You basically want a filter rated twice what your tank is, I run a Rena Xp3 on my 55.
Post InfoPosted 24-Feb-2010 08:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jakegill12
Small Fry
male usa us-washington
EditedEdited 24-Feb-2010 09:12
Thanks lowlight I just looked through some sites and i will not buy the rope fish or goby. I will just have to look some more.
Post InfoPosted 24-Feb-2010 08:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
I started out with 6 neon tetras, 6 angels, 9 black ruby barbs,and 6 yo-yo loaches. The herd as thinned out nicely since then. During the night the larger angel juvies attacked and killed the smallest angel in the tank. Make sure they are all relatively the same size when you purchase them. After the angels grew to adult size, I found a mated pair terrorizing the other angels. So the pair got their own tank. Out of the remaining 3, I had an alpha male(beautiful fish) that was psycho. He terrorized the whole tank especially the other two males and ate a neon. He went back to the store for credit. The black rubies and tetras have thinned out as well. Mostly from old age, a few barbs with bloat. I am now down to one neon and 4 black rubies. The curious rocks of the tank have turned out to be the loaches. They are very comical and each has it's own personality. My kids can tell everyone of them apart and has named each one.

You are on the right track. I would keep the angels, but at adulthood, keep the mated pair. Then trade or sell the remaining angels. Get a school of barb and/or tetra that is big enough not to be a snack, but doesn't nip at the flowing fins of the angels. Options could be black skirt barbs, black ruby barbs, rosy barbs, cherry barbs, emperor tetras, headlight taillight tetras, lemon tetras, etc. Then for bottom feeders go with cories or loaches. That's my 2 cents. Good luck!

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 24-Feb-2010 13:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
dudehi
Fingerling
Kudos: 20
Votes: 2
male usa us-florida
well i used to keep 2 angles with 4-6 tiger barbs and they did pretty well together (in 14 gallon). if you want, you can do 6 angels (get breeding par as said above) and clown loaches are cool fish to have as a bottom feeder but if you want more of a schooling bottom feeder as well you should go with one specific kind of cory's and for a 55 gallon i would go with around 8 of them.

bala sharks do get too big in that tank so i wouldnt go with those. idk much about rope fish or the others u mentions except for the loaches and neons.

hope this helps you (:
Post InfoPosted 25-Feb-2010 13:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies