AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# Getting Started
  L# Middle of Cycling Process--Progress?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeMiddle of Cycling Process--Progress?
reneeandpauly1
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 14
Votes: 4
female usa
Hi there,
My aquarium is about 2-3 weeks into the cycling process and here are my readings:
Ammonia: 3+
PH: 5.5-6.5
Nitrate: Nitrate levels are at 0-5.0 right now.
What symptoms would you say would show signs of stress on the fish? They seem to be acting pretty normal so far. Does it sound like my aquarium is cycling properly, and how much longer do you suggest it will take before it is finished?
Post InfoPosted 20-May-2006 07:07Profile PM Edit Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited by FRANK
Hi,
I'm kinda surprised that you had no answers yet.

First welcome to FP and second, have you read this?
http://www.fishprofiles.net/faq/begin-cycling.asp

With an ammonia reading of 3+ (it can go over 6) and
essentially no reading for nitrite or nitrate, you are
only just started on the cycling process. How long it
takes depends on several variables:
The size of the tank.
The type, size, and number of fish.
The number of water changes you make during the process.

Needless to say it will take longer to cycle a 100G tank
than a 10G tank.

The type of fish can also make a difference, cycling with
common goldfish, or live-bearers will generally go faster
because they eliminate more waste than most egg-layers.

The larger the fish, the more waste is eliminated.

Also the more active fish generally give off more waste
products. And, logically, the more fish you have the
more waste products.

If you make a lot of water changes, you are just diluting
the "soup" and it will take longer to complete the cycle.
It's generally better to simply keep topping off the tank
to make up for evaporation, and let the "soup" simmer.

Read the information contained in the above link and as
you have any further questions, come back and post here.

Good luck!

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 20-May-2006 16:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
KariLyn23
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 32
Votes: 7
female usa
Hi Renee-

I posted about this in your other topic as well, but wanted to say that I don't think you're halfway through the Nitrogen Cycle, as Frank has already mentioned.

Yes, you set your aquarium up three weeks ago, but until 11 days ago you were doing too many water changes to let the Nitrogen Cycle even begin. You still have weeks to go on this, and more if you continue to do water changes.

Every tank cycles at a different pace, and you can't place an exact time line on it. Just keep tesing the water, and go by what the readings are showing.
Post InfoPosted 22-May-2006 01:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
reneeandpauly1
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
Yeah I didn't realize that you couldn't do water changes often..I read from other places like you should change the water every other day, at least thats what it said on my aquarium instructions and other sites, etc. if the water smelled bad or if the ammonia levels were high.. but only about 2 weeks ago, I quit changing the water and am only adding anything unless absolutely necessary.. I just want to cycling process to at least show "some" progress..it barely has shown anything over the past 2 weeks and am just worried thats all..but anyhow, I only do anything with the water when it evaporates, which tomorrow will be a week since any water adding, so I'm going to add about 10% percent of water that is treated with water conditioner..does that sound good? Also, the filter, I shouldn't mess with it anytime soon should I?
I am going to be so excited when the cycling is finished!
Post InfoPosted 22-May-2006 06:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited by FRANK
Hi,
I keep my tanks filled to the black plastic trim so no
light comes out between the plastic trim and the water
level. I loose about a third of a gallon a day where
I live (a high plains desert) and I replace it every day
unless I get real busy or away. If I am, I replace the
water when I return. You don't have to wait till the water
is down 10% to top it off. That's why it's called
"toping off" the tank.

Frank

Post InfoPosted 22-May-2006 07:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
The cycling process is rather confusing, especially when you find a site that tells you to do X but doesn't tell you why !

Yes those sites were right in a way about changing the water. If a cycled tank smells of ammonia you should perform a partial water change. If a tank is cycled you should perform a partial water change on a weekly basis. However when a tank is just set up it needs to go through the cycling process the first step of which is establishing certian ammount (varies per tank) of ammonia in order to establish a certain ammount of NitrItes which will produce a given ammount of nitrAtes. Yes ammonia and nitrItes are unwanted in a cycled tank so most sites and stores simply warn against them. In the "get an answer fast" world most of us live in all we are given is the fast answer.

My ten also evaporates water more quickly than my other tanks. I keep a gallon jug of water under my desk in order to top it off when it's a bit low. Be sure that the lid fits the tank well, and as much of the back is sealed off. If in the future you're thinking of going with a planted tank you might look into an all glass lid. They can be purchased for $15 or so for a 10 gallon and they fit much more snuggly than the standard black lids that come with most tanks. Another thing to consider once the cycle is complete is to reduce surface agitation and lower the temperature a few degrees so long as it's still in the comfort range of your occupants. Both will help reduce water loss.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 23-May-2006 00:51Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
reneeandpauly1
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
hi there
I just wanted to update with the progress with my 10g aquarium..
The readings as of this evening are:
PH: 6.5-7 (good, was low the past few weeks)
AMMONIAhigh..I think its so high the test won't read it properly..5+..been this way for about a week)
NITRITES: (still at 0..confused?)
NITRATES: (0-5.0)
Overall.. I'm still extremly confused..my ammonia has been up for awhile now over 5+ which is what I've been told it gets to, however the nitrites has yet to go up at all.. any idea where I'm at in the cycling process? It's been around 3-4weeks now..
Post InfoPosted 05-Jun-2006 04:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
KariLyn23
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
EditedEdited by KariLyn23
I don't know what to say about your readings....

You had a Nitrite reading of .25 several weeks ago. Did it continue increasing? How long has it been at zero? Your Nitrate reading is the same as it was several weeks ago. It should have continued to rise as well.

Your current test readings suggest that you are still in the beginning phase of the cycle, but that doesn't seem right, given the length of time you've been doing this....

More info would be extremely helpful. You haven't posted any test results in a couple of weeks....what readings have you had during that time? Have you been doing water changes? What kinds of additives have you been putting in the water?

Out of curiosity, how many fish are remaining in the aquarium? I seem to remember that you had a death or two.

Post more info....hopefully some folks here can help you figure this out.

Kari
Post InfoPosted 05-Jun-2006 06:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
reneeandpauly1
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
My test readings have been right around the same.. I've had a bit of problem with the Ph (it went to like 5 for a week or so).. but the ammonia levels have been high for awhile now (5+ for at least a week).. it did show that the Nitrite was slightly increasing but according to my test results the past few days, its still at zero as well.. the nitrates are only at between 0-5 as well..
I haven't changed any water since I was told a few weeks back..but to rather just "top off" the tank when it evaporates..I add live bacteria once a week(its called stress zyme)..I have not put any ammonia chemicals in it to lower it for over a week either..thats about it in regards to that, I've just been letting it go naturally in hopes the readings would get better I currently have 4 fish in the tank..tetras (lemon, rasbora, scissortail, and bleeding heart) and they seem to be pretty active still..I only feed them once(sometimes 2 times a day)..
I'm just real confused as to where I am at in the cycling process..
Post InfoPosted 05-Jun-2006 15:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
KariLyn23
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
I'm editing this post, since you posted a reply while I was typing this up:

I'd suggest that you take your water to a LFS for testing, to get another set of results. They may confirm what you've already been seeing, or they may indicate that there is a problem with the test results on your end of things.

Either the cycle in your aquarium is happening very, very slowly, or something went wrong. Give it a little more time, please get a second opinion on your water tests, and let us know what the results are.

Also, how did you go about deciding upon your fish? I own Tetras, and know that they do much better in groups (of the same), than alone in an aquarium.

Kari
Post InfoPosted 05-Jun-2006 15:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
reneeandpauly1
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
I'll call the lfs and ask if they can do a water test.. do they usually do it for free? I never knew they would do that really..
As far as choosing the fish, I was waiting to buy a school until after I got other fish in my tank..I guess I just wanted 1 of everything when it came to the tetras..I didn't think it would be a problem for them to be in their together, but I'll probably buy 2-3 of 2 or 3 more species once I get the tank cycled now that I know that its better that way.
I'll see about getting test readings from the store and let you know what they say..
Thanks
Post InfoPosted 06-Jun-2006 10:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
KariLyn23
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
Be careful about putting too many fish in your aquarium. The rule typically is 1 inch of fish per 1 gallon of water, but you also have to consider whether the fish have enough room to move around. A 10 gallon doesn't provide much of that.

I have 9 Columbian Tetras in my 10 gallon QT temporarily, and they don't have nearly enough room. I hope that someone else will comment as well, but I'd suggest you not put more than 3 additional fish in the aquarium (that are as big as those you already have in it).

Yes, all LFS should do water testing for free, especially if you're a customer already. Just be sure that they don't use the strip tests, since it would be a waste your time. Strip tests are very inaccurate.

Kari
Post InfoPosted 06-Jun-2006 15:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited by FRANK
Hi,
Since this is a 10G tank, you are severely restricted
by the tanks' size as to the number of fish you can
"safely" put in the aquarium. Currently you have (I can't
see the number count to be accurate while typing this
note)6 fish in the tank, all tetras, all different, and
of different sizes. With Tetras, they are a schooling
fish, and do best with a small group of like fish. The
school then depends upon each other for protection, and
"companionship" ( a human term for a non human activity).
They will swim/move as a group and are less "high strung"
as a group (not jumping at foot falls or shadows passing
the tank).

Honestly, if I were you, I would look at them and decide
which ONE of the tetras you like the best, and return the
others. At the same time, I'd purchase 5 or 6 more, take
them home, and acclimate them to their new home.

As long as you are restricting yourself to a 10G tank,
that is your best option. Getting additional 10G tanks
would allow you to house one type per tank. OR, you could
get a much larger tank, such as a 55G tank, and house
several different schools of tetras at the same time.

Frank

Post InfoPosted 06-Jun-2006 19:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies