Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNew 20g Stocking Idea
paullj63
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 2
male usa
EditedEdited by paullj63
Hey i have a new 20 gallon long tank Penguin Bio wheel 200 and a T-5 series 30" 10,oooK Daylight and True actinic 03 blue T5 fluorescent lamps. I began cycling the tank last night and got 10 white cloud minnows to help with the cycling. Once i have completed the cycling process I want to have a pair of German Blue Rams, a BN Pleco and a school of fish but I am having a hard time deciding and would like some suggestions. Just please no Neon Tetras
oh and also currently i have a 5lb piece of bog wood and have attached a little anubias nana and a little piece of java fern.

Jason
Post InfoPosted 23-Feb-2009 10:32Profile PM Edit Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
ummmmmm well i not really into small schooling fish maybe go for idk lol well i say neons would be cool or cardnials.
Post InfoPosted 23-Feb-2009 11:31Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
How about Harlequin rasboras? Cardinal tetras? Glowlight tetras? Lemon tetras? Black Phantoms? There are literally hundreds of species of small schooling fish.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 23-Feb-2009 23:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
EditedEdited by keithgh
What you have to remember with small schooling fish (I have Cardinal Tetras) the bigger the school the better in a tank that size and not having many other bigger species 30-40+ would look very good,
Your tank is 75lt substrate and the big piece of DW I think you will be close to 65-70lt. In all tanks and especially smaller tanks it is extremely important to know the exact water capacity when it come to using any medications at the correct dosages.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 24-Feb-2009 00:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Are you looking at keeping the WCMM in that tank or will they be moved to a different tank?

If they're staying I think you pretty much have your stocking done, WCMM work well in a 20. Maybe a few of the smaller corys or the BN that you mentioned.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 24-Feb-2009 01:29Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
paullj63
Small Fry
male usa
EditedEdited by paullj63
I am going to take the minnows out of the tank.

I think i have narrowed it down to either the H rasboras or zebra danios. keith you were saying to have 30-40 fish? wouldnt that make my tank overstocked?
I want to have the two rams and a BN pleco
How many danios could i put in after that to reach my capacity for the tank?
Post InfoPosted 24-Feb-2009 01:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Paul
Every thing would depend on the size of the fish you choose plus what else is in the tank and I did mention about other big fish.
It also depends how you run your tank by that I mean filtration is it for a tank that size or upgraded to larger tank size. Your water weekly changes what percentages, even to the plants you have the more live plants the better.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 24-Feb-2009 02:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gourami
---------------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 477
Votes: 1
male usa
If you are planning on getting a school of danios I would just stay with the WCMM. They are almost as active and more colorful.
Post InfoPosted 24-Feb-2009 06:30Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
paullj63
Small Fry
male usa
thanks for all of your help
the little minnows are starting to grow on me as I sit and watch them play in the current of my filter outlet.
Does anyone know a good way to make caves? I was thinking of getting a piece of PVC and putting it in the corner and covering it with rocks. Any other good cheap and easy ways?
Post InfoPosted 25-Feb-2009 03:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
EditedEdited by keithgh
Some driftwood makes a natural cave also there are the three rocks two sides and the roof, or a combination of rocks and DW.

Look here for my

Keith:

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 25-Feb-2009 05:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
wayneta

---------------
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 236
Votes: 9
male usa us-newyork
cheap cave = coconut shell
Post InfoPosted 05-Mar-2009 22:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
the WCMM's are fun, especially if you can find gold ones to go with the ones you have now... The two Rams would be a nice contrast to add some variety.

beware the pleco, they get good sized and a major bio load on a tank of that size...

Harlequins are beautiful schoolers, as are my favorites, rummynose tetras...

good luck and keep us posted, welcome to FP!

Post InfoPosted 06-Mar-2009 04:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
paullj63
Small Fry
male usa
I went to the LFS after two weeks and had them test my water. Everything checked out perfect, nitrites 0, ammonia 0, nitrates 5ppm, and ph 6.2
So i decided to get 3 cherry barbs because I wanted something that had the same coloring as the tail of the minnows i currently have.
Yesterday I was cleaning the tank and noticed 3 little snails crawling around. Anyone know what these are and if they are good or bad?
Post InfoPosted 10-Mar-2009 00:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
You will either have to a far better description of those snails or take one out and get a close up photo. Before they can be identified corectly.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 10-Mar-2009 04:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
paullj63
Small Fry
male usa
I took one of the snails down to the LFS and she said it was a common pond snail that probably came with my live plants that I bought from them. They are very good at reproducing and now i have about 20 of them. I dont mind them, but am wondering if they could do any harm to my tank. She suggested getting a loach to eat them, but i am not particularly fond of loaches so I might just net a bunch of them and take them back to the fish store.

Oh and I also picked up 3 cherry barbs while I was there and they are doing good. Got a male and two females and the male is very red and they are very active.
Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2009 08:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies