L# New 46 Gallon Bow
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNew 46 Gallon Bow
psuklinger
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 12
Votes: 1

Hello all, I recently bought a 46 bow aquarium, stand, hood, and magnum 220 filter. I have 5 pieces of drift wood I want to use. I plan on putting two toned grass on one side and 2 different types of plants on the other side, maybe something with alittle color. I plan on putting most of the drift wood in the center and will try to get some small or shorter plants to grow on them. I currently have the drift wood set out in the hot sun all day. I want to start with 3 florida gar. Any suggestions on other fist to add? I like the sting rays and patterned plecos or other odd ball looking fish.

Is there anything I am missing? I know I need a plant light. I will also be getting the fertile soil they sell at the fish stores and have trimmed tupperwear and will localize the soil/plants to them. I want to get my plant, wood, and stone base done right so I don't need to drain the tank once I get my fish in.

Please respond with any suggestions, I am a newbie so don't assume I know anything.

thanks in advance
Matt
Post InfoPosted 04-Aug-2006 04:38Profile PM Edit Report 
carpe_diem
----------
Fish Addict
*Dreamer*
Kudos: 292
Votes: 51
female australia
EditedEdited by carpe_diem
Hi and welcome to FP! you will find alot of useful information and help on this site!

the florida gar (LEPISOSTEUS PLATYRHINCUS)should be kept in a 200g minimum tank so i suggest you find a species suitable to a 46g tank.it can reach up to 30inches and would outgrow the tank.
http://www.millevolte.com/nativefish11.html
check this site for information on this fish.

are there any other fish you are considering?

Truth doesn't always win friends but it influences them
Post InfoPosted 04-Aug-2006 05:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
EditedEdited by GirlieGirl8519
I don't think your 46g is big enough for 1 florida gar...much less 3.

[link=This site] http://www.millevolte.com/nativefish11.html[/link]says they should have a 200g tank and are aggressive towards their own kind.
[link=And this one] http://www.aquariacentral.com/species/db.cgi?db=fresh&uid=default&ID=0457&view_records=1[/link] says the same thing...so I'd rethink your stocking.

I think the stingray depends on the species...as to how big they get.

To have good plant options, you'll need around 2 watts per gallon or more (atleast 92 watts of light) over the tank. Compact fluorescent lighting is what I use. You won't be able to fit a regular fluorescent bulb in your stock lighting that will give you the amount of light you need to grow medium light plants.

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 04-Aug-2006 05:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
An aquscape concern if you do what you are planning it will look like one tank with a divider in the center. Place the Drift Wood one third in from the left hand side and if possible two thirds back from the front. Plant it so that the taller plants are at the back and sides and work to the low plants in the front. This will give a very pleasent flow of design. you can PM me if you have any other concerns re aquscaping.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 04-Aug-2006 09:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
psuklinger
-----
Fingerling
Hi and thanks guys, I understand completely what you are saying about the gar situation. I should have specified that the gar I am looking at are baby gars, about 4-5 inches big. The store owner told me they should be fine in a 46g tank for 2-3 years. As for aggressive towards their own, I actually read they prefer the company of their own, I will read more.

Thanks for the thoughts, is there anything else I should know about maintainance? I have a single bulb hood right now and will be changing to a double hood, one for a plant blub and one for a normal bulb. I have "river stone" I am going to use in my base from my outside landscaping. I already boiled the rock for roughly 10 mins.

If I read more and conclude that gars are not for me, what other fish might I want given my set up (46g, driftwood, river stone, live plants) ? I like the "odd ball" type. Any suggestions or hints are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!!
Matt
Post InfoPosted 04-Aug-2006 12:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
niggit
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 282
Votes: 0
female canada
EditedEdited by niggit
hmmm... oddballs for a 46G...

some leaf fish and/or african butterfly fish may be interesting. they would do well in the type of set-up that you have, as far as i know, and don't get as big (or hungry!) as the gar. a ropefish would also maybe be a good choice. they get large, but not unmanageable. these are also species that you could mix with some smaller, more active fish as well to help make the tank look a little "fuller." (ie: a tank with just a ropefish and a butterfly fish would look fairly empty).

hope that helps! i'll let you know if i think of anything else!
Post InfoPosted 05-Aug-2006 01:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
psuklinger
-----
Fingerling
Thanks for all the replies.

I think I am going to scrach the idea of a gar, I want something that will be able to live in my conditions for more than 2 years.

I saw at my LFS some fresh water baracudas. They don't get as big and should be ok in a 46g tank, y/n? I was thinking of 3-4 cudas, 3-4 clown loaches and 3-4 of another fish type.

Thanks
Post InfoPosted 06-Aug-2006 20:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Budzilla
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 197
Votes: 90
male usa
The clown loaches would outgrow your tank after about a year. Maybe you could get some yoyo loaches instead.
I think you might be able to get a small knife fish but I'm not sure how big they get. Or maybe some shell dwellers.

-Vincent
Post InfoPosted 06-Aug-2006 23:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
psuklinger
-----
Fingerling
Hi all. I have come up with an idea for my 46 gallon tank. 3 FW cudas and a school of 8-12 cories.

Few questions. Would the cudas and cories live peacfully? Can I get 2 differnet types of cories? Will they be just as happy? Also I am thinking of using some larger rock for my base, would they be happy in that? My number, 8-12, is that ok?

Any and all comments are appreciated.
Thanks
Matt
Post InfoPosted 08-Aug-2006 00:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
female usa
This site says that freshwater barracudas get 16 inches. That is for Acestrorhynchus nasutus.

This site says that Acestrorhynchus falcatus gets 10 inches in captivity.

Ctenolucius hujeta sold on this site gets 28 inches.

I haven't found one when I googled "freshwater barracuda" that stays small enough for a 46g tank.

Do you know the genus and species of the ones your LFS sells?

I think you want alot bigger fish than you can put in a 46g tank.

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 08-Aug-2006 03:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
psuklinger
-----
Fingerling
I think you might be right.

Do you think 8-12 cories would be ok?

Are there any fish similar to the cuda or gar that don't get large?
Post InfoPosted 08-Aug-2006 03:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
stuff_gnome
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 382
male usa
So you like the "wierd" stuff do you, I am always trying to get people to go brackish and believe me there is plenty of strange stuff in the slightly salty deep.

If you like the gar look then look into half beaks mainly Dermogynus pusillus. Then there is "Butis butis". A whole list of puffers(just research the potential size), like leopard puffers. There are several goby species. Fresh water lion fish might work, the largest one I have ever seen was about 7 inches though they are supposed to get 12. They don't move all that much so a 46 with good filteration and a proper water chnage routine should work.

Post InfoPosted 08-Aug-2006 03:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
psuklinger
-----
Fingerling
girliegirl: I believe the name is: Ctenolucius hujeta
and the sites I've read say they max out at around 9 inches

stuff_gnome: thanks for the idea, will look into it

guys any thoughts on the cories? I read they are relatively easy and the more you have the happier they are (within reason)

thanks again
psuklinger
Post InfoPosted 08-Aug-2006 03:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bonny
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Engineer in waiting
Kudos: 498
Votes: 7
male uk
http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/c-hujeta.htm

http://fish.mongabay.com/species/Ctenolucius_hujeta_hujeta.html

http://www.aquariacentral.com/species/db.cgi?db=fresh&uid=default&ID=0554&view_records=1

These are just the first 3 sites i found when doing a google search. They all say can grow to 28" but usually max out at 10". However being long thin fish, they like a lot of space to swim, and a 46g bow while being a decent capacity the main thing that adds to the capacity is the bow which does not add much swimming space.

Plus these are predetaroy fish so they must only be kept with larger fish which you wouldn't have room for.

Definatly look out for puffers. You could probably have 30 dwarf puffers in a tank that size, and that'd look pretty spectacular. But then again, so would you're food bill.
Post InfoPosted 08-Aug-2006 10:21Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
female usa
EditedEdited by GirlieGirl8519
Cories would be fine for that tank...if they are the only bottom feeders you want, you could get 12 IMO.

But, not with any kind of predator fish like you want. They would eat every last one of your cories. Cories are very peaceful, so not really the way you are going for this tank. I think you'll have to decide which you want, peaceful or aggressive.

A 10 inch fish would be fine for this tank for awhile (while its growing), but it would eventually have to move. If you can guarantee that you will upgrade the tank in a year or so, then it would be fine to keep the barracuda. And you'd have to keep it alone. All the sites I went to (only one was the cuda you're looking at though) said they should be kept alone. One of these guys would be max for this size tank. And most likely it would have to be the only fish in the tank because it would eat everything small enough to fit into its mouth (including cories).

So, if you really want the cories, I think you could get some semi-aggressive type fish, like tiger barbs. They school though, so you'll need 6-8...preferably 8 to make sure they don't harrass the cories.

Or if you want some aggressive fish, you could look into some cichlids. Maybe some African Mbuna? They have gorgeous coloring and are somewhat aggressive, so they won't be totally unique, but would be an eyecatcher. But, you shouldn't keep cories with them.

Does any of that interest you at all?

Or, what about a brackish tank with some puffers? Again, they'd need to be in a species tank and you couldn't have cories.

I think you'll have to choose, the cories, or the aggressive fish.

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 08-Aug-2006 19:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
psuklinger
-----
Fingerling
GirlieGirl8519: well put. I don't like it but your probably right.

I think I am going to go with 2 8-12 schools of peaceful fish, one bottom dewlers, one more open water. Maybe one red tail black shark too.

I had my heart set on a predetor such as the gar, pike, or cuda, but being my first tank and all maybe I should keep it more simple. I read that the cories are fun to watch so I hopefully will enjoy that.

Anyone have any favorite, colorful, peaceful, school loving fish?

thanks again
matt
Post InfoPosted 09-Aug-2006 00:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
stuff_gnome
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 382
male usa
I believe harlequin rasboras would make a great addition to your cory tank. They are colorful and their small size allows you to keep a good size school.
Post InfoPosted 09-Aug-2006 16:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies