L# Getting Started
  L# Newbie/First Tank
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNewbie/First Tank
JTF
----------
Enthusiast
male canada
Have read lots of articles about cycling and understand its importance. My first step is to get a tank, looking for a 29 gallon glass and eventually a community tank which will be stocked slowly over time. Are the kits the best way to go IE: Tetra or Hagen etc.
Post InfoPosted 13-Dec-2009 18:43Profile PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
It's a great thing when you see someone doing the research before they start the tank. I commend you.

Have you read about "fishless cycling"? Because I would definitely go for that. Depending on how you fishless cycle you can actually start off putting a lot more fish in at once rather than stocking it slowly. But, that's not to say stocking slowly isn't a good idea even if you do a fishless cycle.

You definitely want a test kit that uses an indicator solution. I use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, but I'm sure the different brands do not differ much.

I would look for a slightly larger tank if you're not restricted by the footprint; 29 gal tanks are a tall version of the 20 gallon, and that extra height doesn't exactly mean much to fish.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 13-Dec-2009 19:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited 14-Dec-2009 00:43
I'm going to suggest that maybe kits aren't a great way to start. I have 2 kit tanks, and while they are ideal for certain things, my glass tanks that I've kitted out myself are far more flexible and able to handle a wider range of fish and setups.

Shiggy is right when he says that height isn't too important to fish. The difference in the number of fish you could comfortably fit in a 20G or a 29G would be negligable (though the height can help with other things and more water is always a good thing for stability). Footprint/Surface area will make a bigger difference to your stocking because it allows for more territories (less fish fights), more substrate (greater cycling stability as most of your bacteria live in the substrate) and greater gas exchange (greater O2 level which is more important in heated water)

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 14-Dec-2009 00:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited 14-Dec-2009 07:13
Hi,
It looks like "We" were not sure what "kit" you were
speaking of. For the water test kits, the Aqua-Pharmacy
Master Test Kit is one of the better ones that works fine
for the newbie as well as the more seasoned folks.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4345+4454&pcatid=4454
I'd stay away from the test strips, they have too
many problems.

As far as Aquarium Kits are concerned, I have found that
the "parts" in the kits (heater, filter, etc) are generally
at the bottom rung of the "quality" ladder. It does give
you everything for the tank, but they frequently wear out
or break early on. "Parting" it out while more expensive,
generally gives better results.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 14-Dec-2009 07:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lowlight
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 94
male usa us-california
I agree with the last three post. I purchest everything seperate accept for the hood and lights that came with the tank. It cost more allthough in the long run I am satisfied with the set up. A good water test kit is a must IMO. Research, plan, don't rush things and most important have fun.
Welcome to FP.
Post InfoPosted 14-Dec-2009 07:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
JTF
----------
Enthusiast
male canada
Thanks for the awesome feed back. I will go for the good test kit and start building a setup myself.
Post InfoPosted 15-Dec-2009 01:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies