Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNewbie! Help Me!!
heatherfeather
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 8
Votes: 1
female usa
i am thinking about getting a fish or several for my dorm room, and i was wondering if the 12 gallon nano cube is a good aquarium or not?

i have been reading reviews and what others have thought about them so far i have only seen two bad reviews. your thoughts are welcome

thanks!

"I'm not a Guppy!" - Flounder
Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2006 11:21Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
JQW
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 758
male australia
Many people recommend starting with the largest tank you can afford or practical, the larger the tank is, the more stable your water is going to be. But given that you live on college, you probably won't have room for a 4ft tank.

12Gal is good as long as you do not put too many fish in it and keep the water clean by doing regular water changes.

What fish are you thinking about putting in the tank?

P.S Welcome to Fishprofiles!!!
Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2006 12:57Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
A 12g is good to start out with, especially living in a dorm room. Do you know what kind of fish you'd like to have? Alot of fish get too large for that size tank, so pay attention to the sizes when you browse at your local fish store.

I think a school of tetras or rasboras would be nice in a 12g with a dwarf gourami or betta.

What do you like?

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2006 18:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Needeles
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 65
Votes: 52
male usa
I agree with the above. Both are smaller fish that tend to be pretty hardy. The Gourami though might get alittle aggressive in a tank that small. Cherry barbs are another small type of fish that you could have in that tank instead of one of the others listed above. They will need some good hiding spots though. As for tetras I would not go with the Neon Tetras as they tend to only give problems. Just my 2 cents for ya.

Live life to it's fullest
Who knows what tomorrow holds
Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2006 19:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
heatherfeather
-----
Small Fry
female usa
i was either thinking of some guppies or platies and maybe a small algea eater for the tank.

thanks for the help keep it coming!

Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2006 23:06Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
Kudos: 3730
Votes: 348
female usa us-california

I think those Nano Cube tanks tend to catch on fire a lot.

You're probably better off with a better-known brand that has a good reputation, such as Marineland. I believe they make the Eclipse Systems, which come in a 12 gallon size.

I'm not your neighbor, you Bakersfield trash.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2006 23:20Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
heatherfeather
-----
Small Fry
female usa
oh gesh thanks thats the first i have heard that..

the other two problems i have heard about them were:

it sucked up a tetra in the filter but the lady found it two weeks later happy and fine

the second was the pump stopped working and they lost a few fish but they had about 20 fish in the tank...

Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2006 23:30Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies