Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribePossible Heater Problem?
camliner
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 5
Votes: 3
male usa
I have a heater rated for a 10 - 15 gallon tank. I've noticed that during the day it stays 78F, but in the morning when I first look it is 76F. It's got to be doing something because we keep the house at 74F.

Is this normal for a morning temp? Or should it be 78 constantly? How can I safely test to see if the heater is... heating?
Post InfoPosted 19-Jul-2007 16:09Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Report 
Maddeningdream
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 25
Votes: 1
male usa
do you have ac in your house?your tank might be near a register or something like that.at night i run my fan and it's alway's a degree lower in my tank in the morning.could also be do you turn your lights off at night?if you use incandescent lights they burn hotter and when you shut them off they might drop the water temp.might even be a fault in the thermostat in the heater.like it's clicking on the thermostat only sometimes.sorry for long reply just thinking of all possible stuff.

Est solarus uth mithas,My honor is my life
Post InfoPosted 19-Jul-2007 16:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
camliner
-----
Fingerling
male usa
I have been leaving the lights on during the day and turning them off at night. That's probably it since they are incandesent. I am going to leave them off today and see if the heater brings the temp back up.

Speaking of which... I'm getting conflicting information from websites about lighting. Some say to leave them on during the day and some say to turn them on only when you are viewing the aquarium. Any thoughts?
Post InfoPosted 19-Jul-2007 17:09Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Maddeningdream
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 25
Votes: 1
male usa
well if you have live plants they need to be on 10-12 hours a day.fish need at least 8 to be in a norm enviroment.yea leave them off for a day to see if the temp stays consistent.if it does no heater problem.and you should be ok with a 2 degree fluctuation during the night.

Est solarus uth mithas,My honor is my life
Post InfoPosted 19-Jul-2007 17:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
It is common for tank temps to vary a little depending on the room temp. The lighting during also heats up the top surface of the water as well. The temps will vary also depending on thr tanks location in the room also if there is any heating or cooling in the room. Is the thermoneter a fixture or is it floating?

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 20-Jul-2007 01:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
camliner
-----
Fingerling
male usa
It is a fixed stick on type on the outside of the tank.

I had the lights off 95% of the day and the tank held around 76-77 degrees, which is fine for my fish. I guess it was the lights.

The aquarium is about 8 feet away from the nearest air vent in the room.
Post InfoPosted 20-Jul-2007 04:07Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
The stick on types are notorious for being inaccurate.

Try Big Als they've got great prices and ship pretty quick too.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 21-Jul-2007 03:11Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
camliner
-----
Fingerling
male usa
Looks like I need to add a new thermometer to my list. What type would you suggest?
Post InfoPosted 21-Jul-2007 06:43Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
The floating glass heaters with the suction cup are best. The suction cup will keep it right on the inside of the glass, if it does get seperated from the glass (fish sometimes knock into them or you may knock it off during cleaning ect) it'll float and be easy to find. Usually they're less than $2 US and have a quick referal zone that'll easily tell you if the tank is in a good range.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 21-Jul-2007 08:42Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies