SubscribeSmall 1 Gallon Query
daphnis
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 18
Votes: 1
female canada
Hello all,

I received a small desktop 1 gallon tank with under gravel filter, cover and light but no heating. Aside from goldfish and bettas, what fish can I put in it? I'm looking to put in a single show fish (or two small ones?) that can withstand temperature fluctuations... unless there is such a thing as a 1 gallon tank heater. Although the cover is meant to close tightly and there are no additional holes in it. Any insight would be appreciated!

Daphnis
Post InfoPosted 16-Sep-2006 03:44Profile PM Edit Report 
OldTimer
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
USAF Retired
Kudos: 1294
Votes: 809
male usa
Walmart does have a small heater designed for small 1 to 5 gallon tanks that will maintain the temperature pretty well between 75 to 80 degrees.

And the only fish that would probably work in the tank would be a betta.

Jim

Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody. -- Mark Twain
Post InfoPosted 16-Sep-2006 05:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
JTF
----------
Enthusiast
male canada
Well there is no way a goldfish can go in a one gallon. As already stated the only fish is a betta. Get rid of the UGF; put some small substrate; java fern; a small heater for the winter months just make sure to check it daily. Do 100% water changes weekly and use a turkey baster to remove left over food.
Post InfoPosted 17-Sep-2006 03:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
One gallon tanks are hard, they feel to us like they've got space but they really dont.

Again, a goldfish wont fit.

Last I heard bruce ^^^ is much larger now.

A betta will be very happy in a nicly planted one gallon, and a well planted one gallon will make a very nice deskpiece.

Keeping up with the water changes is imperative though, fluctuations in a one gallon will be worse than in a larger tank.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 17-Sep-2006 10:46Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
MoFish
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 40
female usa
You could also do 1/2 male guppies.

~Morgan~
Post InfoPosted 17-Sep-2006 23:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
daphnis
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 18
Votes: 1
female canada
Thanks a lot everyone. I found a small heater at Walmart and put in a few of my baby Severums in there for my mother-in-law so she can see them grow. They are barely 1/4 inch right now. Of course, as soon as they grow bigger, I'll remove them and put a guppy or two in there. Great idea about the turkey baster.

Thanks for the info.

Daphnis
Post InfoPosted 18-Sep-2006 05:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies