L# Stocking 10g question
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeStocking 10g question
edwardorino
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 8
Votes: 1
I have a fully cycled partially planted 10g tank. It has a HOB Whisper 20-40 and a heater that keeps the tank at a nice 79-80F.

This is what I have:
3 platy (1 male, 2 female)
2 m/f "Golden Wonder" killifish (A. lineatus)
1 male Betta
3 panda cories

Am I overstocked? I do a grav vac/20-30% water change every five days, and currently my water params are 7.6 pH, 0-.25ppm Ammonia, 0-.005ppm NitrITE, and 5-10ppm NitrATE. Thanks for your help!
Post InfoPosted 07-Jun-2006 19:14Profile PM Edit Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
EditedEdited by GirlieGirl8519
Welcome to FP!

Sorry to tell ya but your 10g is stocked...well actually a little overstocked. The platy trio alone would stock the tank (especially after they reproduce). They will also get a little too big for that size tank.

You are registering a little ammonia and nitrIte so I would definitely say its overstocked. I would get a bigger tank for the platies and then add maybe 1-2 more cories to the 10g (pandas like bigger groups). Then leave the betta, cories, and killies in the tank.

10g are small, so you have to remember that when choosing fish for them.

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 07-Jun-2006 19:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
edwardorino
-----
Fingerling
Thanks for the info.

The Betta and the killies are there for platy fry control, so I'm not too worried. I do want a bigger tank eventually, but right now that isn't an option.
Post InfoPosted 07-Jun-2006 19:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
Well, I think it will work for now...as long as you plan to upgrade in the next 6 months maybe. Its not too overstocked. I would bump the water changes to atleast 40%, even 50%...just to keep the ammonia and nitrItes down.

NitrAtes look good though..so you should be fine for a little while. Just don't add any more fish.

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 07-Jun-2006 19:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
edwardorino
-----
Fingerling
Thanks for the knowledge. If you have another chance to look at this, are Golden Wonders better in pairs, or singles?
Post InfoPosted 07-Jun-2006 21:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
divertran
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 469
Votes: 165
male usa
Hi. Your tank is bordering on the over stocked. If maintained properly you will be fine. Water parameters spike very easily in a small tank such as a ten. The more fish in there the more easily it will spike. I am sure you've heard that larger tanks stay more stable? Its true!
Anyway, what can you do about it? Reduce your stock? Everyone likes a well stocked tank. No, with a small tank like a ten, fifteen or even smaller the water quality can be easily maintained by a rigourous and strictly adhered to maintenance schedule. Three or four gallons every four days should do it. I had to do it in mine and all I had was a pair of blue dwarf gouramis. Good luck
Post InfoPosted 09-Jun-2006 04:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
edwardorino
-----
Fingerling
EditedEdited by edwardorino
Thank you divertran for the encouragement! I'm doing a 30-50% waterchange every 5 days via a grav vac.
Post InfoPosted 11-Jun-2006 08:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies