L# Stocking 29 gallon tank- need advice
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeStocking 29 gallon tank- need advice
amazonfishkeeper
Small Fry
Kudos: 11
Votes: 0
Hello all,
Starting new tank, cycling fishless, using a whisper filter. Need advice on this planned scenario: 5 lemon tetras, 6 cardinal tetras, 3 dwarf cory cats. (3 live plants, hopefully more.) Will this work or is it absolutely essential to have 6 lemons instead of 5? Don't want to overstock the tank. Also have one male betta in a 2.5 gallon tank. He seems to be more on the peaceful side. Would the large tank get overstocked if he's added to this mix? I am thinking if the tank had more frequent water changes it would work. Thanks in advance for your advice and tips!
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2010 06:03Profile PM Edit Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited 02-Jan-2010 06:11
Hi,
Most of the reading I've done on Lemon Tetras suggest
at least 5 and some at least 6 to form a group. My
concern with the male betta would the Lemons. The
large flowing fins generally represent a target for many
fish making the male betta an animal with a target printed
on it. Perhaps others might be more reassuring. I know
my Black Skirt tetras devoured my cherry shrimp and used
my male betta as a target.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2010 06:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
amazonfishkeeper
Small Fry
Thanks Frank for your reply!
I'm thinking I could give it a short while to see how the other fish treat the Betta. If the Betta gets picked on (or he tries lunching on the Lemons), he goes back to his single life. Could I add more fish to the tank or what I mentioned (the 5/6 lemons, 6 cardinals, 3 cory's, possibly Betta) be the max? I forgot to mention that the tank is stocked with gravel as well so actually it holds about 25 gallons of water with all this displacement!
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2010 06:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
devon7
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 356
Votes: 4
female usa
I doubt you will have a problem with the tetras nipping the betta, especially if betta has been all by himself prior... I have some really agressive male feeder guppies (they are jerks I tell you!) that I moved away from one tank because they were tearing my fancy guppies apart, they live with my male betta now and and he actually keeps them in check! Sometimes with bettas i feel like "peaceful" can mean "brooding"

You could try a group of 5 lemons and see if they school tight or they seem lost... if they seem lost, add one at a time until they group together the way you want them. I think with 5 or 6 lemons, 6 cardinals, and 3 dwarf cories you still have some wiggle room, I would suggest more corys... the more corys the bigger the party!
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2010 10:10Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
amazonfishkeeper
Small Fry
Yay! Sounds like I can get away with 6 lemons, 6 cardinals, 3 cories and a Betta and still have some wiggle room! (Assuming of course peace largely reigns.)
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2010 15:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
divertran
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 469
Votes: 165
male usa
I'd probably up the lemons and the cards by one or two. I've never had them school less than seven or eight.
Post InfoPosted 09-Feb-2010 09:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
devon7
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 356
Votes: 4
female usa
I bet they will school because they will feel intimidated by betta
Post InfoPosted 09-Feb-2010 21:39Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies