Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeStocking a 30 Gallon Hexagon Tank
sweet pea
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 39
Votes: 1
female usa
Hello! I got a few idea's from another Forum but am trying to get as many options as I can.
So far the one I like most after much research is
2 apistogramma borelli
1 Dwarf Gourami
Fancy Guppies (Not sure how many)

I am not in a hurry as I still have a lot of research to do but am open to suggestions and Idea's. I know Hex tanks rule a lot of fish out. Its been a few years since I had fish so I need some refreshing lol

Thanks again!
Post InfoPosted 02-Sep-2010 03:38Profile PM Edit Report 
hca
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 434
Votes: 211
female usa us-illinois

http://www.aqadvisor.com

that site will help you fig out the actual numbers... who gets along with what, once your ready.just enter your tank size and filters from the drop down menu, pick the fish and numbers, and it will tell you whether your on track, over stocked, ect...

look at smaller fish, as a 30 gal hex has a small surace area, and cant be stocked like a 30, more like a 10-15 gal... so try and use the heighth to your advantage.

look for species that will live at all levels, or a species for the bottom, another for the middle, and another for the top.

Also look for fish that stay under 2 inches... when i had a 20 gal hex everyone was under an inch.... red cherry shrimp, pygmy cories... ect... and i planted it heavily with low light plants ( tall tanks= low light unless you want to get high tech)

ideas-
Bottom 1/3 pick 1 group

-pygmy cories
- panda cories
- clown pleco
-apisto pair

middle 1/3 pick one group

- neons/ cardinal tetras
- glowlight tetras
- ember tetras
- microrasboras
-least killie fish

top 1/3.......
- sparkling gouramis
- other small labrinth fish....

fish that use all the tank
- endlers
- guppies
- shrimp ( especially if there are plants that reach all levels of the tank....

just some ideas off the top of my head. Dont know whats availible in your area, or what intrests you.

Post InfoPosted 02-Sep-2010 05:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sweet pea
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
Thank you so much! You gave me some great info. Tomorrow I am going to look at a big fish store by me. Not to buy anything just to see fish that interest me.
I appreciate the advice
Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2010 00:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
hca
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 434
Votes: 211
female usa us-illinois
when you go and look- take a paper and pen- write down both names of those that intrest you- the common and scientific..... because some common names are more regional, or a sale tactic... and some fish have multiple common names.

after you get your list together- research them here on the profiles, see what their basic requiremens are...

if you post a partially narrowed down list, we can help you figure out the rest....
Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2010 02:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sweet pea
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
Alright I went to the store called World of fish (http://www.worldoffish.com/) I am so excited that we live by this store.

They seemed to really know their stuff (Wouldn't sell my sister in law fish that wouldn't be good for her tank size but directed her to one that would be)

Anyway I came up with this stocking list that I like a lot

1 Dwarf Gourami
5 fancy Guppy
2 German Blue Ram

What do you think? Aqua advisor says I am only at 80 percent stocking which is fine but no problems with any of the fish.

Any suggestions or will this be ok in my 30 gallon Hexigon?
Post InfoPosted 04-Sep-2010 15:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
sweet pea

5 fancy Guppy

These could easily be your downfall if you get the Males and Females it would not take very long before you had a population explosion.
If you still want the Guppies get the Males only, some of them are very colourful.

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 05-Sep-2010 03:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sweet pea
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
Oh Thank you! I actually forgot to say i was only getting males. The LFS that I go to only sells the male Guppies so it works out well.
Post InfoPosted 05-Sep-2010 13:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies