L# Suggestions for a nano tank please
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeSuggestions for a nano tank please
miss_jess
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 48
female australia au-queensland
I've got a 2.5 gallon (9-10 litre) tank cycling at the moment, but I'm not sure what to put in it. It's tall, but very narrow in width. It's got a power filter that creates some water movement, enough for a decent amount of oxygen. There's a peace lily in it.

I'm not sure what I can do with a tank this tiny. I'm happy enough putting a betta in it as I don't think the small current will worry it, but I'm wondering if there's anything more adventurous I could put in. Would a pair of bumblebee gobies work? Any sensible suggestions welcome!
Post InfoPosted 12-Apr-2009 13:59Profile PM Edit Report 
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 196
australia au-northernterritory
There's lots of options for nano tanks as long as you're prepared to choose your stock carefully and keep up on maintenance. A few options for you would be the Betta or bumblebee gobies that you have already mentioned or a few shrimp.

I personally like the idea of a shrimp only planted nano and have several of them running atm. While most shrimp are not as in your face or obvious when you glance at the tank as a flashy Betta or something like that I find that I spend much more time looking for the shrimp & watching them do their thing than I spend looking at my other fish-based tanks.

I have a 3.5 gal with 3 bumblebees in atm and adore them - so much personality. So if you want to try the bumblebee gobies go for it but make sure that you do your research as some varieties do better long term with brackish water. Also make sure that you have plenty of small caves or driftwood or something like that as I've found that they tend to stake out a spot and not let the others near while they are in residence.

Whatever you choose have fun with it and make sure you post pics of it once you are happy with it.

Enjoy

G_T

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Post InfoPosted 13-Apr-2009 03:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Here is a BIG problem the water surface area will limit what you can put in there as well. Can you post the exact size as it will help. Cherry Red Shrimps are fun to watch and easy to keep and breed.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 13-Apr-2009 03:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
miss_jess
----------
Hobbyist
I've always wanted shrimps, but I think the ground surface of this tank is way too small for them.

The dimensions are: Height 27cm, Length 32cm, Width 11cm

The problem is that the tank is so narrow in width - it makes things very difficult! But it's a good quality, attractive tank so I'd like to be able to use it somehow.
Post InfoPosted 14-Apr-2009 13:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
That is only
352sq cm surface area
9.5lt-2.5 US Gal
As for capacity you could easily take of 10-15% for substrate and any thing else in the tank.

I will admit I have seen far smaller horrors for Bettas and those poor fish were all stressed out.

This narrows down your choices a lot. CRS would be OK but the number you could have I would have to do a bit of research for you on that one. They like a soft DW that can grow a litle algae (their natural food) and certainly a few tall plants. They will breed which means a solid clump of ??? up one end I use Anubias nana for them and they love it.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 15-Apr-2009 05:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Here is some shrimp info for you. I bought mine from a private dealer far cheaper and excellent quality.

SHRIMP INFO

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 15-Apr-2009 05:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
miss_jess
----------
Hobbyist
Thanks for the shrimp info, but I would rather see them with more room to move on the bottom. I have a 70 litre aquarium (not set up yet) that I'm going to try and work some CRS into.

I think I will go with the bumblebee gobies. Thanks everyone for the help. Next I will be asking what to do with my new 70 litre tank!!!
Post InfoPosted 20-Apr-2009 08:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
miss_jess
----------
Hobbyist
I ended up going with a bumblebee goby and 2 tiny (true) Endler's. So far so good! I have some live worms for the goby, hopefully they will keep him happy.
Post InfoPosted 22-Apr-2009 07:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies