L# Tank Kharma
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeTank Kharma
burnsbabe
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 0
female usa us-oregon
Hey all! I've been lurking on several forums lately and you all seem nice and informative so I'm making my first post.

I recently got back into the fish hobby for the first time in probably 10 or 12 years and the bug has bitten me. I don't have a lot of disposable cash, but I do have a lot of nights to scour craigslist and it's pretty good in my area. The short version is that I just drug a 55 gallon tank home for FREE!

My question? The tank is pretty old. The sticker says it was made in 1991. What are the chances of it developing a leak any time soon (It doesn't now)? It's standard glass with silicone sealant. Also, since I picked this up off of someone's lawn what's the best way to go about cleaning it to make sure it's safe?

Thirdly, anyone have a 55gal stand then don't need? Pretty please?
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2010 10:02Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
That's a great deal!

If it doesn't leak now, you should be okay. Tanks can last pretty long. It's good to test a tank for leaking after it's been dry for a while, but once its wet I think the tank should hold.

Washing the tank out with a hose should do the job. I'd take the time to make it as clean as possible now before you have to set it up, because the next time you'll get the chance to do that is the next time you take it down again!

I'd keep hunting if you want to really save on a 55 gallon stand, but I hardly ever see used stands sold alone. A metal stand would be cheaper than a wooden cupboard, and you can get one new for about $50. There is also a metal double stand that's about $70 which lets you put two 55 gallon tanks on it, one on top and one below, like a shelf.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2010 19:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
burnsbabe
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 0
female usa us-oregon
Thanks for the reply and the helpful info Shiinigami. I didn't think they just wore out too often, but had never thought about it before.

The tank I'm running now is a 30 gallon. It's lightly planted right now with some wood for java ferns anchored etc. with an eye to making it really lush in the longer term. All low light plants as well as 6x Gold Clouds and 12x Lambchop Rasboras. I'm planning on adding a school of barbs (probably 6 or 8 of the Black Rubys), a sucker of some variety that will be okay alone, and 3 dwarf gouramis (one male and two ladies). Only now as I type that does that seem like a crazy amount of fish.
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2010 20:49Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies