Kudos: 5
EditedEdited by 2500ram
Sorry, I ment to reply to this thread, not start a new topic
http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/threads/34647.1.htm?6#
If a mod could move it thanks.

Just an update as of 7-7-07

Ammonia 0
PH 7
Nitrite .10 or less but our tap water reads the same so it's either .10 or 0 (not sure but constant for the last week.
Nitrate 20

API Master liquid test kit.

I changed the charcoal filters (they were gross) and the water is Chrystal clear. Did a small gravel cleaning 2 days ago (about a 15% water change is all for the cleaning and about 30% of the gravel was cleaned) I have the same numbers listed above after 2 days. Hope I didn't do too much cleaning and cause a mini cycle but time will tell.

Again this was just an update that it's not tank crash but still weird our tap water is 7.4 and the tank is a 7.0

55 gallon FW API Master Liquid Test Kit.
4 Silver Dollars, 2 Angles, 2 Danios, 6 Tetras, 4 dwarf Guramis, 2 powder blue and 2 red and 1 Black knife Started 5-25-07
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2007 04:04Profile PM Edit Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
Kudos: 88
Votes: 73
male usa
It does sound like there is something in your tank that is making the PH drop to 70. from 7.4 However from what you are telling us the fish seem to be adapting to the new PH without a problem so it may be a gradual drop. Also the PH is stable now? I would leave the water in for 3-5 days now and check the PH to see if it stays stable. I would love to have 7.0 PH in my tanks hehehe.

But it sounds like everything is going well in your tank. If your tap water is reading the same as the tank water then the nitrIte levels are the same and you have cycled your tank. I would still keep an eye on the nitrIte levels so they dont increase.

Try and split your gravel in to 4 sections so you do a section a week. Also do a regular 20% water change each week with that gravel cleaning.

Thanks for your input as always, Shane
http://thetanklog.blogspot.com/ - [ Thanks to ScottF ]
http://www.natureaquariumclubofutah.com/main.html
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2007 19:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
2500ram
-----
Fingerling
7/10 update..

Numbers are identical from above BUT we did loose 2 fish in 2 days and a snail. A Gourami (blueberry color) and a Spotted Molly

My only guess as the water parameters are identical is we bleached some of our decorations to get rid of some algae (LFS recommended this. Left them out of the tank for 24hrs, throughly rinsed and completely dried. My guess is there was still bleach and that killed the fish. Bleach will not be used again for cleaning but they do look better. RIP Gary (the snail) Burnt Marshmallow (spotted Molly) and Wasabi (the blueberry Gourami)

4 Silver Dollars, 2 Angles, 2 Danios, 6 Tetras, 4 dwarf Guramis, 2 powder blue and 2 red and 1 Black knife Started 5-25-07
Post InfoPosted 11-Jul-2007 06:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
Kudos: 88
Votes: 73
male usa
Bleaching is a good tool when used wisely. What more than likley happened is by the sound of it, the bleach soaked into the decorations because you left it in over night. Then you put them back into the tank and the bleach got into the tank water. Its weird that you didnt see any spike but i bet the water smelled like bleach. Im sorry for your loss. I would remove the items that were in the bleach, do a water change ASAP, then let the items soak in regluar water for a few days to allow the bleach to dissipate.

Thanks for your input as always, Shane
http://thetanklog.blogspot.com/ - [ Thanks to ScottF ]
http://www.natureaquariumclubofutah.com/main.html
Post InfoPosted 11-Jul-2007 06:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
2500ram
-----
Fingerling
Sorry for not being clear. We soaked the items in bleach water for 15 minutes. Throughly rinsed, drained and air dried for 24hrs before putting anything back in the tank. There was no bleach smell or liquid in either item. Just tested water again and it's still the same. Will do a water change tonight though.

Thanks again.

Post InfoPosted 11-Jul-2007 23:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies