L# What Do You Do In A Blackout?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWhat Do You Do In A Blackout?
linnie
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 9
Votes: 0
Well 3 weeks into our tropical adventure with fish and we got a 13 hour blackout

Is there anything available that will cut in to replace the electricity that doesnt cost the earth to buy???

Also do we have to keep the pump moving every hour to keep the good bacteria active or will it last without manual pumping??? Hubby sat up all night pumping it

Post InfoPosted 25-Aug-2008 13:01Profile PM Edit Report 
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 196
australia au-northernterritory
Hi Linnie

All night? that's dedication for you! I hope all the fish survived the night and are grateful for his efforts.

I recently saw this inverter in a catalogue and immediately thought that at that price it might be a good investment for powering filters etc during our fairly frequent wet season power outages (you know you're hooked when looking through an electrical catalogue and the first thing you think of is - how can I use that to benefit my tanks? ). Only problem I can see is you'd need to be home when the electricity goes out, or not long after, to hook it up and you'd also need access to a car battery.

Other options might be a generator (they can get a bit expensive but can also be used to run other appliances which is handy for extended periods without power), a solar setup of some sort, a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) for brief outages or if you just want to be able to get some aeration into the tank as an emergency measure you can buy battery powered air pumps from a lot of fishing & camping supply stores.

Good luck, hopefully your fish will show no adverse affects from their 13 hours without power. Try to test the water regularly over the next few days for ammonia & nitrite so that if you do experience a mini-cycle you can recognise it and are able to act quickly to minimise the effects.

G_T

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Post InfoPosted 26-Aug-2008 02:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
Kudos: 92
Votes: 147
male usa us-indiana
I saw a video on householdhacker.com where they powered a tv with some batteries and some AV cables. I haven't tried it myself, but if it works then you could use it to power a filter.
Post InfoPosted 26-Aug-2008 03:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I have forgotten to turn the heaters back on longest 48 hrs. The only true and safe way is to get a good generator. You also must have food to consider as well as the fish. Our power often goes off but only for an hour or so and all I ever do is double dose with Seachem Stability for 2-3 days depending how long the power goes off.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 26-Aug-2008 07:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
linnie
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 9
Votes: 0
GT I am sure the fish were very happy with him lol
We do have 4 deep cell batteries sitting in the shed ( personally I call it the male dump ) however maybe he can rig up an inverter thingie and even if we are not home my daughter only lives a kilometre away so they could change it over.

Keith 48 hours with no heat and the fish survived??

Thanks everyone for answering
The water seems stable and the fish seem happy, well as happy as a fish can look Is there a way to test the bacteria???
Post InfoPosted 26-Aug-2008 07:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
I had power go out in a snow storm while I was at work one night... Total time without power was possibly 18 hours. I set up a portable airstone (from the fishing department of walmart) when I got home, left the tank covered with a blanket to simulate darkness and night so the fish simply rested and curled up under a blanket myself!
By the time the power came back on it was 48F in the house, tank was likely similar.

Did a water change and dose with Cycle and let the heat come up gradually. I didn't lose anyone, my stock at the time was mostly hardy fish that had wide temp ranges.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 26-Aug-2008 08:53Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Linnie

It was during the summer months and the temp naturally dropped, but I never lost a fish.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 26-Aug-2008 09:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Ira
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 181
Votes: 1
male newzealand
An average car battery will only run a cannister filter for something like 6-7 hours. So I don't think an inverter is going to fix everything. Heat isn't a major concern, throw some blankets over the tank and it'll be fine for quite a while as long as your house doesn't get below freezing. Even without airation a tank that isn't overstocked should be fine for 5-10 hours without a problem.

Big thing I do is about an hour after the power goes out I unplug all the cannister filters. That way when the power comes on they don't dump all the nasty toxic water into the tank. Once it's back on I give the filters a quick clean, plug them back in and they're good to go.

There's enough bacteria in the tank itself that you should only get a minimal ammonia spike, if any at all. I've tested after forgetting to plug my filter back in for 24 horus and there was no ammonia reading at all. But, depends on stocking levels and a lot of other details.
Post InfoPosted 27-Aug-2008 12:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Ira
That could be a good idea about cleaning the filter especially if it is a canister.
I always have on hand 45lt of prepared water as well.
Plus Double dosing of Seachem Stability for a few days.
Also I would reduce the feeding for at least a week or until you can do a big water change.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 28-Aug-2008 11:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Ira
-----
Fish Addict
male newzealand
I have 18,000 liters of prepared water on hand.
Post InfoPosted 28-Aug-2008 11:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
On tank water Ira?

^_^

Post InfoPosted 29-Aug-2008 01:27Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Ira
-----
Fish Addict
male newzealand
Yup.
Post InfoPosted 29-Aug-2008 11:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
divertran
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 469
Votes: 165
male usa
I also recently had a 13 hour blackout, whike I was away at work. When I got home I cleaned the filters right away and tested the waters with no trouble at all. All the fish were just fine. I had just done a water change, and did another one when I got home just to be sure but everything was fine
Post InfoPosted 31-Aug-2008 13:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
cherrybarb
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 64
Votes: 10
male usa
I have suffered long power outages at work (petstore) and we went to the extent of using generators to power the tanks. However their are battery operated air pumps out on the market. Also correct me if im wrong but plants in the dark have a differnent chemical reaction to make food which creates co2? which means if you have plants in your tank its best to take them out.
Post InfoPosted 09-Sep-2008 18:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies