AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# Getting Started
  L#  It's me again! Final 10g stocking question!
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe It's me again! Final 10g stocking question!
edwardorino
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 8
Votes: 1
EditedEdited by edwardorino
Okay, after much deliberation, advice, and many trips to my LFS, I think I have what I want. Here's my setup:

standard 10g
20-40 Whisper HOB
Hagen CO2
2 15W Compact Fluorescent
Driftwood, Java Fern, Crypts, Sword plants, Anacharis, Jungle Val

Stocking:
1 male Crowntail Betta
4 Cardinal Tetras
4 Panda Cories
5 Amano Shrimp

I've traded in a pair of Golden Wonder Killies, 2 Chinese Hillstream Loaches, and 3 Platys

If anyone of you are ever in Bloomington, IN, please visit Delilah's Pet Shop. They have a wonderful and knowledgeable staff.

My question is, do I have any more room for pandas or cardinals or both? If you had this tank, would you add anymore to this stock?

I appreciate everyone's help so far, and I wouldn't where I am at (fishkeeping -wise) without you all!
Post InfoPosted 25-Jul-2006 21:21Profile PM Edit Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
If this was my tank, I'd skip the pandas. They get a little big for a 10g IMO. Also, they do much better if you can get a minimum of 6 (preferably more than this though) and in a 10g, you don't have the room. Also, they are somewhat sensitive to water quality and 10g tanks are not as stable as bigger tanks, so I'd keep it understocked.

Save the pandas until you can get a bigger tank. Add a couple more cardinals. The amano shrimp will stay towards the bottom, so you have every level stocked, if that's what you are going for.

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 25-Jul-2006 21:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
edwardorino
-----
Fingerling
Thanks for the advice!

The stocking level is what I currently have. The amano shrimp are all over the tank doing there thing, so they aren't always on the bottom. My four cories play alot, and I really like them a whole bunch. I'm guessing you are saying no more cories or cardinals.
Post InfoPosted 25-Jul-2006 22:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 922
Votes: 69
male usa
The Jungle Val is going to be huge if properly cared for. It'll have leaves that cover the entire surface of the water, then wrap around to the bottom of a ten gallon tank, that's how long they can get. I think you're better off looking for Saggiteria Subulata. It's tall and grass-like but won't seriously outgrow that tank.

Then, add more plants. I don't know how many you have, but a common beginner mistake is to not get enough (one crypt here, one java jern there etc.) Get a few crypts, and get a few javas. Tie the java ferns onto pieces of wood or rocks. Plant the crypts (wendtii I assume?) in the midground, or one the sides near the foreground.

Anacharis is OK, you can plant it in the background or let it float. Swords, if common amazon swords, will also get huge. If you see it getting too big replace it with more crypts.

The idea is to get the tank densely planted and get the plants growing healthy and algae free. Healthy plants will be your extra filter. They, along with a settled regular filter that you have, plus weekly water changes, will allow you to up your stocking. Leave what you have for now and thicken things up in there, then I wouldn't see a problem with adding 3-4 for more cardinals. If the tank is newly set up don't add too much CO2 from the get-go, let them acclimate to their new home for a week or two.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 25-Jul-2006 22:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
female usa
If that's what you have now, I wouldn't add anything else. I think its close to being overstocked.

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2006 01:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Plants
I also would be concerned with that variety of Val also what Swords are you considering and how many? The secret with small tanks is to have a small range of small lerfed plants rather than a garden salad (plenty of mixed greens)
The Co2 will certainly push those plants along.

Filtration will that filter outlet create too much water surface movement for the Co2

Fish
I would skip the Cories and up the Cardinals, I cannot comment on the Shrimps as I know nothing about them at all.
If you want a good bottom cleaner consider Khuli loaches.
Have you also considered at least two Ottos

Lighting
You might also consider a plant and a daylight fluro.

With my 10g I do a weekly 30% water change plus a full filter cleaning it is more work but with any small tank you must be prepared to put that little extra work in.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2006 01:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
edwardorino
-----
Fingerling
Hi keith! You've helped with your sage advice quite a bit on FishProfiles. Thanks to everyone else with their advice too. You know, I don't know if I have actual Jungle Val., it might actually be dwarf sagittaria. Every picture I've seen of Dwarf Sag looks like my Jungle Val. I also forgot to mention I have floating water sprite to shade the fishies.

Btw keith (and everyone else), my stocking list is what I have currently in the tank.

I've heard conflicting advice on the old shrimpsters. I've heard their bioload is negligible compared to fish. I know everything adds up in the end, but I'm doing two 30-40% waterchanges on Wed. (frozen food day!) and Sat. (live blackworm day!) weekly.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2006 05:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Your feeding program concerns me big time.

I hope it is not the same frozen food every day.

Also be extremly careful when introducing live foods into a tank unless you know exactly where it comes from and has no nasties in it all. If you must use live food home grown is certainly the best.

Finally I am glad to see the very good water changes. What about the filter?

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2006 05:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
edwardorino
-----
Fingerling
Feeding schedule:

Monday: tropical crisp (flakes), betta pellet(2), sinking shrimp pellets (2)
Tues: tropical granules, 1/2 algae disk
Wed: alternates between frozen brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms
Thurs: same as Mon.
Fri: tropical crisps, 1/2 shelled frozen pea for Betta, 1/2 algae disk
Sat: Live Black Worms! (From trusted LFS)
Sun: No food day.

I also give the betta the occasional fruit fly I catch in the house. The betta has been finicky towards his pellet lately.

I've got a 20-40 Whisper HOB as a filter.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2006 07:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
female usa
I think with your water change schedule, you will be fine. Just don't add anything else to the tank. Keep an eye on your water parameters to be certain everything is alright. I had a little too many fish in a 10g before (didn't do twice weekly water changes though) and had some ammonia show up. I'm sure you'll be fine, but just check them periodically.

Your fishies sure do get a balanced diet. If mine knew about your schedule, they'd be jealous. I wish I had access to good quality frozen food besides bloodworms...

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2006 18:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
edwardorino
-----
Fingerling
I think the varied food for the betta is kind of back-firing though. He's become real picky, and will spit out his pellets. I haven't seen him partake in flakes and granules in awhile either. Oh well, if he's hungry enough, he can scavenge.

Thanks for the advice!
Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2006 18:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
That looks like a well balanced food mixture. Is it possible you are over feeding them and the Betta is just not hungry? Only worry if he stops eating for a few days. One day without food will never do any harm at all.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 27-Jul-2006 08:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
divertran
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 469
Votes: 165
male usa
I agree with everyone, but feel you are close to if not already overstocked. With your water change schedule you should be ok tho, but I'd not add anything.
Post InfoPosted 01-Aug-2006 20:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies