Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribebuying a used tank
SonoranDesert
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 0
female usa us-arizona
Hello,

I am new here, everyone looks so knowledgeable!

I am wanting to buy a used 10 gallon fish tank (most likely for a beta or goldfish) for my 14 year old daughter. (She asked for a fish and I want to encourage her). \ I am wondering how to clean and check it properly?

TIA
Post InfoPosted 30-Dec-2014 19:08Profile PM Edit Report 
moondog

---------------
---------------
The Hobnob-lin
Kudos: 1038
Votes: 4366
male usa
first things first, make sure the seals do not look torn or broken in any way. if you think they may be a problem, fill the tank with water and let it sit for a day or two to check for leaks.

as for cleaning, i favor a pure vinegar wash. pour enough vinegar into the (empty) tank to cover the bottom and use a clean rag to wipe the insides down. give it a good rinse to make sure you get all the vinegar out.

"That's the trouble with political jokes in this country... they get elected!" -- Dave Lippman
Post InfoPosted 31-Dec-2014 15:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited 01-Jan-2015 17:07
Hi and WELCOME TO FISH PROFILES!,

Just a caution, you mention a Betta or a goldfish. Ten gallons may seem like alot of water, and if the tank (any tank) should spring a leak, it is indeed a whole lot of water! But, 10 gallons of water is just enough for one grown goldfish. Now thats not one 10 gallon tank, but rather you would have, say a 50 gallon tank, and allot 10 gallons of that water to one goldfish.

You would be better with the betta or better yet a few fish on the smaller side. Cherry Barbs, pigmy corries, etc. Or, you could go with some livebearers such as a pair of platties. The cherry barbs, and corries would make it a "Tropical" Tank with a temperature of, say 78 degrees. With the livebearers, the Platties, the tank would be a "cool water" tank and temperatures between 70 and 76 would be good. With gravel and plants she would have a well ballanced aquarium that would require minimum upkeep on your part.

One of THE biggest adjustments a newcomer needs to make is in feeding... A fish's stomach is roughly the size of its eye! Just about everyone who keeps fish, starts off waaay over feeding them. This causes water polution and a whole series of problems. Feeding, very small amounts, a couple of times a day, is ideal. Just a tiny pinch.

A betta would be an interesting fish, but, you need to be extremely careful with any tankmates as the betta's long flowing fins, while extremely beautiful, also are perfect targets for other faster moving fish and can quickly shred those fins.

Just a couple of comments to think about. You probably will want movement within the tank - the betta is not a "constant motion" fish. You probably will want color.
The platties with their vivid colors, and constant motion may be a solution.

A group of 3 or 4 pigmey corries, will be in constant motion as they scour the bottom for food, and at the same time the cherry barbs (say four) patrol the upper levels of the tank.

Stick with small fish. Eventually you will want another, larger tank, with different varieties of fish,etc. Then, the 10G tank, will be useful as a quarantine or hospital tank.

Welcome!
Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 01-Jan-2015 17:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
SantaMonicaHelp
Fingerling
Kudos: 7
Votes: 0
usa
Hi Tia! How is that going? Did you get your daughter the tank? I was just curious about how it went. Hope everything is fine!

-NP

Research Studies: Reefbase.org
Post InfoPosted 02-Mar-2015 22:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies