L# fish in tank?
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribefish in tank?
dudehi
Fingerling
Kudos: 20
Votes: 2
male usa us-florida
48 gallon, 6 zebra danio's, 2 peppered cory's. (idk if its real type of cory but thats what the store label said). i was thinking of deffinitly getting more Cory's. but what else should i get? i was thinking of more danio's since their interesting to watch but i think i may want a bit of color in it. post ur suggestions here!! (can suggest more danio's or whatever)

btw-im on a budget lol
Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2010 00:42Profile PM Edit Report 
skystrife

-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 132
Votes: 37
male usa us-illinois
EditedEdited 23-Jan-2010 23:21
I'd recommend doubling the Zebra Danio school, and upping the Cory school to at least 6. If you have very good filtration, you could also try a pair of BNs.

I'd also recommend some sort of feature fish, like a pair (m/f) of Pearl Gouramis.

Or, if you have the space to move them if they become too aggressive during breeding, a pair (m/f) of Kribensis would also make the tank shine.
Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2010 01:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
dudehi
Fingerling
male usa us-florida
i think i will double the danio's and a couple more Cory's. idk about those other fish. any other suggestions on something else u think i shud get?

btw: my filter is fine...
Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2010 16:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
You do want more corys, they're more active in larger groups and since they are schooling fish it's better for them to be in a group.

As for a feature fish, each LFS is different and part of it will depend on what your store has in stock. Most LFS can order in for you but you also end up paying extra not the best for someone on a budget. I'd suggest looking at some of the mid sized barbs. Gold barbs or ruby barbs both stay fairly small (rubies being bigger) but you do have room left in the tank you could do a small school of one or the other.

Do you have any live plants in the tank? Plants can add color and dimension, plus offer good places for the corys and zebras to play since they're both pretty active species.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2010 23:20Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Peppered corys (Corydoras paleatus) is a real type of cory. I recommend you get more of that particular species if you can, which shouldn't be hard as they are common, as opposed to getting different species.

Pearl gouramis are great fish, I like'em a lot and they're really attractive.

You have a good amount of middle strata open. They can be filled by a schooling fish such as a species of barb (as Babel pointed out), rasbora (Harlequin rasboras are great), or tetra (many choices here).

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2010 23:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
dudehi
Fingerling
male usa us-florida
i know about the gourami's, i have 3 of them. its just im looking for new kinds of fish in that tank. i have plenty of room in that tank.

i think ill deffinily get more cory's.

i have one plant nd one only and its not in there yet. my litle brother used it for his science experiment for school, and i took when he was done. it dont have real thick leaves but later on i think ill put in there.

btw, its in a pot with roots long way out from bottom, would i take out of pot and put in rocks?
Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2010 23:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
amazonfishkeeper
Small Fry
Kudos: 11
Votes: 0
Yes iwould take it out of the pot, but thats up to you. i think it looks ugly. Anyhoo,

i think maybe a clown loach or two would look nice. Also, maybe some neon/cardinal tetras, as these will add some red and blue to the tank. Tiger barbs are a good option but i would keep them in groups of 8+ because when not kept as a shoal it nips fins. As for plants, Water wisteria is a good choice for a high-light setup, and amazon swords are always good. (dont get briziallian swords! ther not aquatic)Java moss and pretty much any plant you see is a good choice. Be sure to do research, as somtimes they are not aquatic plants and drown. All depends apoun your prefrence.
Post InfoPosted 04-Feb-2010 01:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
dudehi
Fingerling
male usa us-florida
im going to petsmart tomorrow for new fish. so im going do double the danio's and Cory's. im really looking for kind of one fish tht will problly be bigger then everything in the tank. like one main fish that will bring the whole tank together. my tank is a natural themed tank. i found a really cool rock in my grandma's backyard so im may put tht in this weekend.

any suggestions on that one fish?? or mabey a pair?
Post InfoPosted 12-Feb-2010 23:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
About that rock,

Check with your grandmother that she hasn't used any pesticides, herbicides, insecticides or fertilizers in the past 4-5 years. Introducing any of those into your tank would be trouble. Be sure you scrub it under running tap water with a new clean brush (no detergents or cleaners) before introducing it to the tank.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 14-Feb-2010 21:20Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
dudehi
Fingerling
male usa us-florida
i gotcha babel.

i got the fish.

i doubled the zebra danio's (24 of them). doubled the pepered cory's (4 of them). i also got two new fish with a weird long name but their really cool, their called a leporinus (2 of them). they are long and yellow with black bands. they also look like they have little teeth too. they dont seem to be aggresive towards other fish but do have a appetite when i feed them : )

in about 2 more weeks im planning on getting more fish. im thinking of getting atleast 2 more of those leporinus fish if their still in stock. im also thinking of getting 2 more pepered Cory's and mabey about 6 more danios but im still thinking about them. i think my tank just needs a little more color and it will be done. any suggestions on a cool fish with like a bright color that will do well with the danio's as their rlly hyper all the time. BTW neons dont like being in with the hyper danio's so leave those out cuz i know someone will say them haha.

thanks
Post InfoPosted 16-Feb-2010 02:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
male usa us-delaware
EditedEdited 16-Feb-2010 03:53
Leporinus can grow to approximately a foot long. IME can also be fairly aggressive and nippy; I had a 3" one bully bala sharks twice its length. Thirdly, they can eat live plants. I didn't have live plants other than java moss when I had a Leporinus so I don't know to what extent they'll eat live plants. I would return the Leporinus.

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 16-Feb-2010 03:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
dudehi
Fingerling
male usa us-florida
EditedEdited 16-Feb-2010 22:34
i was thinking of returning them but i have a better idea. im going to put my gourami's in my 47 gallon and those leporinus in the 5 gallon i have with 3 tiger barbs.

i really dont want those tiger barbs and i have nothing to do with them, any recomendations on what to do wit them. thinking in a cruel mind, my parents have a chitled tank and they cud eat the barbs but thats mean and i couldnt do that.
Post InfoPosted 16-Feb-2010 13:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
male usa us-delaware
You could give/trade the Tiger Barbs to a store. They might not give much for them, though. It would be far better to give them to a store for free then to feed them to other fish.

I wouldn't keep Leporinus in a 5 gallon...

Post InfoPosted 17-Feb-2010 03:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
dudehi
Fingerling
male usa us-florida
alright i bought the leporinus for 7$ ea. how much cud i get for them if i traded them in? i may just give away the already half dead barbs and then leave leporinus in there.
Post InfoPosted 21-Feb-2010 17:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
male usa us-delaware
Well that may depend on the store policy. I've gotten full money back on trades with my LFS, but I only get store credit.

Post InfoPosted 22-Feb-2010 03:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies