AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Species
 L# Livebearers Lane
  L# Breeding from coloured males without similar females?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBreeding from coloured males without similar females?
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
I have the opportunity to get some very nice solid coloured pink male guppies. Unfortunately there are no matching females available.

I vaguely recall a 'grey' guppy female that would produce fry that would display the colour of whatever male was put to her. Is this true, and where would one of these guppies be found? Are they one of those very rare occurrences?

Otherwise, what would be a good bet of a colour that would be recessive to pink? (looks like pink metallic, can't really be much more specific

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 25-Jul-2007 05:32Profile PM Edit Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
Hi Callatya, sorry can't help with your question - but I am so curious to see what these little pink guys of yours look like.

Can you post a pic. My daughter would just love them.

Hope someone else pops in with advice for you soon.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 25-Jul-2007 06:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Can't help much either, but I did have some brilliant bright orange males that I tried to pair with a slightly feeder female and the females bland colors won out for the most part.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 25-Jul-2007 09:32Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
i have "feeder guppies" that are grey in color, and have them bred with my HB male, the fry are all greys in my grow out.

It could be a number of factors, as she may have been pregnant by another grey guppy b4 she came to me.

But my fry are grey.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2007 04:10Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Sorry it took so long, I missed out on the first batch.

I think the colour is actually closer to 'dragon' (whatever that is in guppytalk ) in that it seems to be a bright orange fish with a heavy opaque/metallic layer over the top that alters the appearance to an orangey pink.

Given that, I'm going to try pink/orange neon females.

Attached Image:

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 28-Sep-2007 16:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Another angle (The tank is still a bit dusty from the sand and has no background or light, so the photos are pretty awful )

Attached Image:

next to a normal (non-metallic) female

Post InfoPosted 28-Sep-2007 16:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies