----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by TankWatcher
Hello,

I've just moved a new male guppy out of QT & into the community tank. He has singled out one female mickey mouse platy & follows her everywhere. He is constantly trying to stick his nose or mouth (not sure which) right up to her anal fin. She's pregnant at the moment. This must be very annoying for her. Why is he doing this?

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 03-Apr-2006 14:32Profile PM Edit Report 
fishys_cant_fly
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 114
Votes: 2
male usa
He may think it is a new girlfriend for him, maybe add a few more girls, or a another tank for the pregnent one.
Post InfoPosted 04-Apr-2006 03:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TankWatcher
I have 6 male guppys & no female guppys at all. If I add just 1 female guppy, I assume she'll be harrassed by all the males. But I will be overstocked if I add sufficient females. I had planned on no female guppys at all. None of the other male guppys are bothering any of the female platys, but he has singled out a particular girl & follows her everywhere, sticking his nose/mouth where he shouldn't. He's also the new boy in the tank, so I hope he'll settle down.

Do you think that's the only solution, adding females? If so, how many? I guess they are only small, but each new guppy will be over & above my original stocking plan (which I had already increased by 2 impulse mollie purchases - so didn't want to stretch it further). I can temporarily put the pregnant one in a small breeding trap, but I don't have anywhere permanent to move her to.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 04-Apr-2006 04:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
chelaine
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 343
Votes: 78
female usa
my swordtails seem to do that when my females are close to dropping. maybe he senses dinner coming? either that, or he just needs a lil lovin!!

*Chelle*
Post InfoPosted 05-Apr-2006 08:10Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
mikdavy2
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 224
Votes: 35
male usa
I have a similar scenario, but only mine are mollies, but they do all the same things as your guppy.

http://www.thousandfootkrutch.com
http://www.hawknelson.com
Post InfoPosted 08-Apr-2006 03:47Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Thanks for the replies. Seems it's normal that he does this, but wish he wouldn't. It must get very tiring for the female that he has singled out for this behaviour.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 11-Apr-2006 00:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies