AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Species
 L# Livebearers Lane
  L# My Molly Gave Birth!!! What do i do?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeMy Molly Gave Birth!!! What do i do?
NIKE884
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 9
Votes: 0
male usa
My molly just finish giving birth a couple hours ago...im not too familiar with molly fish as i just brought them about 2 weeks ago...should i remove the fry or is it safe to leave them in there? please help ASAP!!!!!!
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:47Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
OldTimer
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
USAF Retired
Kudos: 1294
Votes: 809
male usa
Are they in with any other fish. My experience with mollies is that they don't seem to bother their own fry, however any other fish that can fit one in their mouth will probably have them for dinner.

Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody. -- Mark Twain
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NIKE884
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 9
Votes: 0
male usa
They are in there with two chinese algae eaters who are not that agressive.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:47Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
RAST
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 162
Votes: 236
male australia
They should be fine. Just keep them feed well. I would increase the feeding intervals so that the babies will grow quicker.

Have you plants for the babies to hide in?(preferably in the top part of the tank). The parents are not that aggressive towards there young but could eat a few.

Appart from that it will be smooth sailing. Easy as they are to keep going. Keep up your water changes and take care so as to not suck the babies up!

Good luck. Looks like you are a successful parent!
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:47Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
kmlubahn6609
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 127
Votes: 2
female usa
If you aren't familiar with livebearers, do a little light reading on this website. You should know, if you have a male and female together, they'll probably reproduce again shortly...with no assistance from you. I have found that other fish (angels, paradise fish) will do population control. That way, you won't be overpopulated. If you decide to keep the fry and have other fish who like to eat fry, get a breeder net (approx $4) from your local department store. I currently have my fancy guppy from in a 15 gallon tank with an otocinclus. They are growing like weeds. Good luck with your babies!

I've got a fever... and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:47Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Mollie223
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
Votes: 1
male usa us-florida
I got a couple mollys 2 weeks ago one is black n her stomach is big but i cant tell if she is pregent because she`s black i need help i dont know what to do???

---
Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2010 22:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies